Vice Admiral Shahid Iqbal (Urdu:شاہد اقبال ; b. 15 July 1953), HI(M), is a retired three-star rank admiral in the Pakistan Navy, and former university administrator who served as the Rector of the Bahria University from 2010 until 2015.
|Rector of the Bahria University|
8 February 2012 – 28 February 2015
July 15, 1953
Multan, Punjab, Pakistan
|Years of service||1972–2010|
|Unit||Naval Operations Branch|
|Commands||Chief of Staff at NHQ|
Commander Pakistan Fleet
Combined Task Force 150
Combined Task Force 151
DCNS of (Training and Personnel)
DG Naval Intelligence (DGNI)
|Battles/wars||Indo-Pakistan standoff 2001|
Piracy off the coast of Somalia
In 2005, he was notable for being the first admiral in the Pakistan Navy when he took over the command of the Combined Task Force 150, helping to conduct military operations against the Somali pirates operating in the coast of Somalia. He took over this post from retiring Vice Admiral Asaf Humayun on 30 December 2009. From 2009–10, Vice-Admiral Iqbal served as the Chief of Staff (now known as Vice Chief of Naval Staff) at NHQ.
Shahid Iqbal was born on 5 July 1953, and was educated at the Cadet College Petaro in 1966, graduating in 1971. He joined the Pakistan Navy in 1972 and attended the Pakistan Naval Academy in Karachi where he graduated in 1974 with a degree in operations research, gaining commission in the Navy as Sub-Lieutenant in the Naval Operations Branch. He was trained as a surface warfare officer and served in the various surface warships before being selected to continue his military training in the United Kingdom.
In addition, he attended and graduated from the Turkish Staff College and Naval War College in Lahore, gaining his staff course degree. He also attended the National Defence University in Islamabad where gained his MSc in War Studies. He also served in the faculty of the Naval War College, instructing courses on war studies.
His career in the Navy mostly spent in the Naval Intelligence (Nav Intel), eventually headed the Naval Intelligence in 2000s as its Director-General. From 2001–05, Cdre. Iqbal headed the Naval Intelligence, and was eventually promoted as two-star assignment.
On 22 August 2006, RAdm Iqbal was relieved by German Rear Admiral Heinrich Lange, and returned to Pakistan.RAdm Iqbal was noted for being the first asian admiral of a "regional nation" who was given command of any of the three coalition task forces that comprise the Combined Maritime Force.
In 2007, RAdm Iqbal was appointed at the Navy NHQ in Islamabad and was later appointed as DCNS (Operations). In 2008, Rear-Admiral Iqbal became the senior fleet commander when he took over the command as Commander Pakistan Fleet (COMPAK) from Admiral Noman Bashir. Rear-Admiral Iqbal guided the fleet to be part of the Combined Task Force 150 and Combined Task Force 151 to launched operations against the piracy in the coast of Somalia.
In 2009, he was promoted to three-star rank, and was again posted in the Navy NHQ as DCNS (Training). Vice-Admiral Iqbal was then appointed as Chief of Staff (now known as Vice Chief of Naval Staff) at NHQ, and took over the post from Vice-Admiral Asaf Humayun who was appointed as VCNS. In 2010, VAdm Iqbal took retirement from the Navy and was subsequently preceded by Vice-Admiral Asif Sandila as VCNS.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shahid Iqbal.|
- "BU has new rector" (html). www.thenews.com.pk. Islamabad.: News International. News International. 13 February 2015. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Vice Admiral Shahid Iqbal appointed COS" Daily Times, 30 December 2009
- "Sandila made COS". The Nation. July 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Siddiqui, Kazi Zulkader (2012). "Shahid Iqbal" (htm). www.petaro.org/. Petaro Alumni. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- Editor, Staff. "Shahid Iqbal of Jinnah House - Promoted Rear Admiral". www.petarianmag.nastac.com. The Petarian Magazine. Retrieved 25 August 2017.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Shahid Iqbal, 763/Jinnah | The Petarian Association". petarians.net. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "DefenseLINK News: Pakistani Admiral Takes Command of Regional Maritime Task Force". 9 January 2007. Archived from the original on 9 January 2007.
- "Pakistan Navy Completes Term as Commander, Task Force 150". United States Navy. 26 August 2006. Retrieved 11 January 2007.
- staff reporter, correspondent agencies (20 June 2008). "KARACHI: PN fleet's new commander" (htm). dawn.com. Karachi: Dawn Newspaper. Dawn Newspaper. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Rear Admiral Shahid Iqbal takes over as Fleet Commander" Archived 2012-03-04 at the Wayback Machine Associated Press of Pakistan, 19 June 2008
- "Pakistan Navy Rear Admiral (RADM) Shahid Iqbal, Commander, Task Force 150 (CTF-150". catalog.archives.gov. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Mushtaq and Iqbal promoted to Vice Admiral. - Free Online Library". www.thefreelibrary.com. .thefreelibrary. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "Shahid Iqbal assumes as PN Chief of Staff". Business Recorder. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- Staff reporter, Interviewer (28 May 2013). "Dedication, commitment key to national progress: Shahid Iqbal" (html). Technology Times Pakistan. Technology Times Pakistan. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
VADM Asaf Humayun
| Vice Chief of Naval Staff
30 December 2009 – August 12, 2010
ADM Asif Sandila