"the very dichotomy man/woman as an opposition between two rival entities may be understood as belonging to metaphysics"— Julia Kristeva
Researchers at the University of Connecticut devised a scale of sexual polarity between right-wing and left-wing sexual ideologies. In a study of 140 undergraduates, correlations along this scale were shown between right-wing sexual ideologies and both church attendance and sex-guilt.
Sexual differentiation may be seen between pairs of bacteria cells engaged in bacterial conjugation. The genetic-element donor may be characterized as having a 'male' sexual polarity and the recipient a 'female' sexual polarity.
Shulamith Firestone's The Dialectic of Sex presents a vision of radical feminism calling for division of culture into two modes, Technological and Aesthetic, married by a 'union of opposites'. Chris Middleton argues that this dual organization is intended to reflect and replace the existing sexual polarity of culture.
Sexual polarity is sometimes presented in New Age spirituality and self-help materials. In The Way of the Superior Man, David Deida discusses challenges related to the ethical expression of masculine polarity. On the Robbins Research International website, life coach Tony Robbins presents an explanation of sexual polarity in relation to intimate relationships and sexual attraction.
- Jordanova, Ludmilla (1989). Sexual Visions: Images of Gender and Science in Medicine between the Eighteenth and Twentieth Centuries. The University of Wisconsin Press. pp. 5, 21. ISBN 0-299-12290-5. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Mosher, Donald (2011). Handbook of Sexuality-Related Measures (3rd ed.). New York, New York: Routledge. pp. 446–448. ISBN 978-0-415-80174-4. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Sermonti, G. (1 November 1963). "Sexual Polarity in Streptomyces coelicolor". Microbiology. 33: 293–301. doi:10.1099/00221287-33-2-293. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Šrogl, M. (5 March 1965). "Intraspecific transformation in Bacillus subtilis". Folia Microbiologica. 11 (1): 39–42. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Parkin, Frank (1974). The Social Analysis of Class Structure. London: Routledge. pp. 192–193. ISBN 0-415-26501-0. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Drakakis, John (1985). Alternative Shakespeares. London and New York: Routledge. pp. 192–193. ISBN 0-203-42574-X. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Deida, David (2004). The Way of the Superior Man. Boulder, CO: Sounds True, Inc. pp. 23–29. ISBN 978-1-59179-257-4.
- Robbins, Tony. "Tony Robbins". Retrieved 6 October 2017.