Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education
|Revised Romanization||Seoul Teukbyeolsi Gyoyukcheong|
|McCune–Reischauer||Seoul T'eukbyŏlsi Kyoykch'ŏng|
The SMOE and the Gyeonggi-do Office of Education have suffered from a huge surge of teachers who voluntarily resigned in 2011 and beyond due to increased frequency of teachers' evaluation tests and difficulties of managing students.
- October 2, 1956 - Seoul Board of Education inaugurated (2 bureaus, 7 divisions)
- May 16, 1961 - The Board of Education dissolved
- January 13, 1962 - Education Autonomy Policy abolished. Absorbed into Seoul Metropolitan Government as Bureau of Education
- January 1, 1964 - Education Autonomy Policy and Seoul Board of Education re-established with 2 bureaus and 7 divisions
- December 30, 1972 - District offices of education established (Dongbu, Seobu, Nambu, Bukbu). The position of Vice-Superintendent and two divisions(physical Education and Administrative Finance) created (2 bureaus, 9 divisions)
- February 27, 1980 - Two district offices of education (Jungbu, Gangnam) established
- February 23, 1983 - Dongjak district office of education established
- September 3, 1987 - Two district offices of education (Gangdong, Gangseo) established
- May 26, 1991 - The Seoul Board of Education, consultative executive body, divided into two separate bodies
- September 2, 1991 - The 1st Seoul Metropolitan Board of Education commenced
- February 22, 1996 - Two district offices of education (Sungdong, Sungbuk) established
- July 1, 2009 - Office of Innovation and Welfare Support renamed to Office of Education Welfare
- January 1, 2015 - Organizational restructuring(1 Office, 3 Bureaus, 7 Divisions, 13 Divisions)
The mailing address for SMOE is 2-77 Sinmunno 2-ga, Songwol-Gil 48, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea. 
16 years old female South Korean student, Kang Min-ji (강민진), was noticeable for publicizing a series of protests in front of the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education for neglecting the sexual rights of South Korean teenagers.
- 김 (Kim), Yeon-jeong (연정) (2012-01-03). '교권추락 탓?' 초중고 교원 명퇴 신청 급증. Yonhap News (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- 기록물 생산기관 변천정보 > 기관연혁 상세정보. theme.archives.go.kr (in Korean). Retrieved 2018-04-30.
- "Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education ". Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education website. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Kim (김), Eun-ji (은지) (2011-12-17). 10대의 성은 차별받아도 되나?. SisaInLive (in Korean). Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- (in Korean) Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education