Securus Technologies is U.S. prison technology company based in Dallas, Texas. Founded in 1986 with regional offices located in Carrollton, Texas, Allen, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia, the company employs approximately 1,000 people and is reported to have contracts with 2,600 correctional facilities in the United States. serve over 2,200 Correctional Facilities across the United States and Canada Securus announced in July 2016 that it had invested more than $600 million in technologies, patents and acquisitions in three years.
|Predecessor||Richard Falcone, Chairman and CEO (-2008)|
|Headquarters||Dallas, Texas, USA|
|Carrollton, Texas, Allen, Texas and Atlanta, Georgia|
|CEO: Richard A. (Rick) Smith (Jun 23, 2008–)|
In September 2004 "T-Netix and Evercom—two industry leading corrections market industry companies"—merged. In June 2007 Securus Technologies acquired the "international brand leader in Offender Management Systems—Syscon Justice Systems.
The company introduced a system to control contraband cell phones. By 2016, Securus' Managed Access Solutions had received approval in more than five Department of Corrections facilities. Securus partnered with Harris Corporation in July 2016 on "Cell Defender" technology. In 2017, the company announced its Wireless Containment Solution, which was developed to prevent contraband cell phones from connecting to mobile networks.
Securus was one of a number of companies which provided telephone service to inmates in US prisons at higher rates than the general public. The company was the target of a data breach of about 70 million records of phone calls in July 2015.
- SECURUS Technologies, Inc's Board of Directors announces Rick Smith as its new CEO June 2008
- Markowitz, Eric (8 April 2015). "Video Chats Are Replacing In-Person Jail Visits, While One Tech Company Profits". IBTimes. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Prison communications company Securus will no longer require jails to ban in-person visits". Quartz. May 9, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Securus Technologies Announces Direct Investment of +$600 Million in the Last Three Years for New Products and Technologies for Corrections and Law Enforcement". PR Newswire. July 28, 2016. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Securus Announces Third DOC Facility to Approve/Accept Its Managed Access Systems (MAS) Technology".
- "Harris Picks Securus to Market Device Blocker Tech to US Prisons".
- "Securus Technologies Announces the Activation of Additional Wireless Containment Solution Installation".
- Connor, Tracy. "'Huge Step': FCC Slashes Costs of Prison Phone Calls". NBCnews.com. NBC. Retrieved 22 October 2015.
- "Dallas-Based Prison Phone Company Securus Hit by Massive Hack". Dallas Observer. November 12, 2015. Retrieved August 2, 2016.