Secretary to the Governor General of Canada
The Secretary to the Governor General is the administrative head of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General of Canada and is based at Rideau Hall, Ottawa. The position is one of the oldest public service appointments in Canada and holds the courtesy rank of deputy minister within the Public Service of Canada. Since Confederation, every office holder has been appointed by order-in-council. The first post-Confederation incumbent, Dennis Godley, initially assumed his post in 1861 and would continue on into the post-Confederation period, departing in November 1868. The current secretary is Stephen Wallace, appointed in 2011.
|Secretary to the Governor General|
|Seat||Rideau Hall, Ottawa|
|Appointer||Governor General of Canada|
|First holder||Dennis Godley|
The Secretary to the Governor General holds a number of ex officio positions. Since the establishment of the Order of Canada in 1967, the secretary has served as secretary general of the Order of Canada. The secretary also serves as secretary general of the Order of Military Merit and the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. Following the creation of the Canadian Heraldic Authority in 1988, the secretary became Herald Chancellor of Canada.
Secretaries to the Governor GeneralEdit
- 1867-1868: Dennis Godley
- 1868-1872: Francis Turville 
- 1872-1875: Lt.-Col. Henry Charles Fletcher
- 1875 (March-October): Harry Moody
- 1875-1878: Lt.-Col. The Hon. Edward George Percy Littleton
- 1878-1883: Lt.-Col. Francis W. de Winton RA CMG
- 1883-1885: Gilbert John Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, 4th Earl of Minto KG GCSI GCMG GCIE PC (at the time styled as Maj. the Viscount Melgund)
- 1885-1888: Capt. Henry Streatfeild
- 1888 (June-July): Capt. Josceline FitzRoy Bagot
- 1888-1892: Maj. The Hon. C.R.W. Colville
- 1892-1893: Maj. The Hon. J.T. St. Aubyn
- 1893-1899: Arthur John Lewis Gordon CMG
- 1899-1926: Arthur French Sladen CMG CVO
- 1926-1927: Richard Osborne
- 1927–1931: Sir Eric Miéville GCIE KCVO CSI CMG
- 1931–1935: Sir Alan Lascelles GCB GCVO CMG MC
- 1935–1946: Sir Arthur Shuldham Redfern KCVO CMG
- 1946–1952: Major General Harry Farnham Germaine Letson CB CBE MC ED CD
- 1952–1959: Lionel Massey
- 1959–1985: Esmond Unwin Butler CVO OC
- 1985–1990: Léopold Henri Amyot CVO
- 1990–2000: Judith A. LaRocque CVO
- 2000–2006: Barbara Uteck CVO
- 2006–2011: Sheila-Marie Cook CVO
- 2011–2018: Stephen Wallace CVO
- 2018-present: Assunta Di Lorenzo CVO
- Jackson, Michael, ed. (2014). "Chapter 13: Confidant and Chief of Staff: the Governor's Secretary". Canada and the Crown. McGill-Queen’s University Press. pp. 100–110. ISBN 978-1-5533-9204-0.
- Office of the Prime Minister of Canada (17 January 2011). "PM announces the appointment of the Secretary to the Governor General of Canada". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- Privy Council Office (17 January 2011). "Appointment of Stephen Wallace as Secretary to the Governor General". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 22 January 2016.