Sebastian Paul Brock, FBA (born 1938, London) is a British scholar, university professor, and expert in the field of academic studies of Classical Syriac language and Classical Syriac literature. His research also encompasses various aspects of cultural history of Syriac Christianity. He is generally acknowledged as one of the foremost academics in the field of Syriac studies, and one of the most prominent scholars in the wider field of Aramaic studies.
Brock studied at Eton College, and completed his BA degree in Classics and Oriental Languages (Hebrew and Aramaic) at the Trinity College (University of Cambridge). In 1966, he became Doctor of Philosophy at Oxford. He was Assistant Lecturer, and then Lecturer, at the University of Birmingham (Department of Theology) from 1964 to 1967. He continued his academic career as Lecturer in Hebrew, and then Lecturer in Hebrew and Aramaic, at Cambridge University, from 1967 to 1974. He was Lecturer in Aramaic and Syriac, and then Reader in Syriac Studies, at the University of Oxford's Oriental Institute, from 1974 to 2003. Since 2003, he is Emeritus Reader in Syriac Studies and Emeritus Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford.
Brock is a Fellow of the British Academy. He is the recipient of a number of honorary doctorates, holding the PhD Honoris Causa at École pratique des hautes études in Paris. Brock has been awarded the Medal of Saint Ephrem the Syrian by the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch, and the Leverhulme Medal of the British Academy (2009). He is a widely published author on Syriac topics.
- Abouzayd 1993, p. 2: "The Syriac heritage owes much to Sebastian Brock and, as in the old adage "all roads lead to Rome", all aspects of Syriac studies lead one way or another to Sebastian Brock ... His voluminous work on Syriac, and related fields, is unique in our modern times."
- Kiraz 2004, p. 5-8.
- Fellows of the British Academy: Dr Sebastian Brock FBA
- Wolfson College: Sebastian Brock
- "Leverhulme Medal and Prize 2009". Prizes and Medals. British Academy. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- Abouzayd, Shafiq (1993). "Sebastian Paul Brock: Life and Work". Aram Periodical. 5 (1–2): 1–22.
- Apostolache, Ioniţă (2017). "Dr. Sebastian Brock & his Romanian Academic Experience". The Harp. 32: 235–244.
- Drăgoi, Macarie (2010). "Professor Sebastian Brock and His Point of View on St. Ephrem the Syrian Theological Heritage". Altarul Reîntregirii. 1: 117–132.
- Kiraz, George A. (2004). "Sebastian Paul Brock: Haddaya of Syriac Studies" (PDF). Journal of Assyrian Academic Studies. 18 (1): 5–8.