Schalk van der Merwe (rugby union)
Schalk Willem 'Hond' van der Merwe is a former South African rugby union player who last played for the Free State Cheetahs in the Currie Cup. He previously played for the Golden Lions, the Free State Cheetahs and the Griffons in domestic South African rugby, for the Lions and the Southern Kings in Super Rugby, for Montpellier in the French Top 14 and for Irish Pro14 side Ulster. His usual position is prop.
|Full name||Schalk Willem van der Merwe|
|Date of birth||4 December 1990|
|Place of birth||Tzaneen, South Africa|
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||105 kg (231 lb; 16 st 7 lb)|
|University||University of the Free State|
|Rugby union career|
He joined the Golden Lions prior to the 2014 season. He was included in the Lions squad for the 2014 Super Rugby season and made his debut in a 21–20 victory over the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Schalk van der Merwe". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "VS se Schalk word 'n Leeu". Media24 (in Afrikaans). Beeld. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "2014 Lions Super Rugby squad" (Press release). Lions. 11 February 2014. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Match Centre: Cheetahs v Lions". SANZAR. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Toyota Cheetahs 20-21 Lions". South African Rugby Union. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "South African prop to join this summer" (Press release). Ulster Rugby. 8 March 2017. Archived from the original on 8 March 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Schalk van der Merwe: Ulster release prop after three appearances". BBC. 4 December 2018. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
|This South Africa rugby union biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|