Sara Japhet (sometimes Sarah Yefet, שרה יפת ; born November 18, 1934) is an Israeli biblical scholar. She is Yehezkel Kaufmann Professor Emeritus of Bible Studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She is considered a leading authority on the books of Chronicles by Oxford University Press.
November 18, 1934
Petah Tikva, Israel
|Known for||her work on the Books of Chronicles|
|Awards||Israel Prize for Biblical Studies|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University (Ph.D.)|
|Institutions||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
Japhet was born in Petah Tikva to parents who had immigrated to Israel in the 1920s. She studied at the Hebrew Teachers College David Yellin in Jerusalem and became one of the first students involved in the academic teacher training program conducted with the Hebrew University. Later, she taught immigrants to Israel at night school. She earned her PhD from Hebrew University in 1973. She has held the positions of head of the Department of Bible and head of the Institute of Jewish Studies at the Hebrew University and has also been the director of the National and University Library between 1997 and 2001.
Japhet won the Israel Prize in 2004 for her contribution to Biblical studies focusing on the Second Temple period. Japhet has held the position of president of the World Union of Jewish Studies since 2006.
In 2007, a Festschrift was published in her honor. Shai le-Sara Japhet: Studies in the Bible, Its Exegesis and Language Presented to Sara Japhet included contributions from Adele Berlin, Tamara Eskenazi, Gary Knoppers, David J. A. Clines, J. Cheryl Exum, Jacob Milgrom, Yairah Amit, and Emanuel Tov.
- Japhet, Sara (1989). The Ideology of the Book of Chronicles and its Place in Biblical Thought. Frankfurt am Main ; New York: P. Lang. ISBN 978-3-8204-8994-1. OCLC 21161930.
- ———; Salters, Robert B., eds. (1985). The Commentary of R. Samuel ben Meir, Rashbam, on Qoheleth. Jerusalem ; Leiden: Magnes Press ; Hebrew University ; E. J. Brill. ISBN 978-9-6522-3517-6. OCLC 12685924.
- ——— (1986). Studies in Bible, 1986. Scripta Hierosolymitana. 31. Jerusalem: Magnes Press ; Hebrew University. OCLC 15865970.
- ——— (1993). I & II Chronicles: a commentary. Old Testament library. Louisville, KY: Westminster, John Knox Press. ISBN 978-0-6642-1845-4. OCLC 28149641.
- ——— (2006). From the Rivers of Babylon to the Highlands of Judah: collected studies on the Restoration period. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns. ISBN 978-1-575-06121-4. OCLC 70284383.
n.b. other titles have been written in Hebrew.
- "Sara Japhet genelogical entry". Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "SARA JAPHET". Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- Brettler, Marc. "An Interview with Sara Japhet". Oxford Biblical Studies Online. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "שרה יפת". Israel Prize (in Hebrew). Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "שאלת מחקר עם שרה יפת". Ynet (in Hebrew). Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Sara Japhet, Yehezkel Kaufmann Professor Emeritus of Bible Studies". The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Sara Japhet". Jewish Women's Archive. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "News in Brief". Haaretz. 2 November 2004. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- Sechan, Sarah (28 July 2009). "59% of Israelis: Our Level of Judaic Knowledge, Heritage, Mediocre or Lower". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 11 December 2015.