Santiago Genovés (31 December 1923 – 5 September 2013) was a Spanish-born Mexican anthropologist who was affiliated with the National Autonomous University of Mexico. He is known for designing the 1973 "Peace Project" experiment, in which he and ten other people (four men and six women) aimed to sail on the Acali raft from the Canary Islands to Mexico. He hoped that this experiment would shed light on the causes of violence in humans and on how it could be prevented. The 101-day experiment, frequently dubbed the "Sex Raft" by the media, was the subject of the 2018 documentary film The Raft, by Marcus Lindeen. He was also one of the researchers who co-authored and signed the Seville Statement on Violence in 1986.
|Died||September 5, 2013(aged 89)|
|Education||National School of Anthropology and History|
University of Cambridge
|Known for||"Peace Project" raft experiment|
|Awards||Pope John XXIII Memorial International Peace Prize|
|Institutions||National Autonomous University of Mexico|
- "Genovés, Santiago". Library of Congress Name Authority File. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- Festschrift. UNAM. 1990. p. 21. ISBN 9789683610232.
- Jeffries, Stuart (2019-01-14). "Mutiny on the Sex Raft: how a 70s science project descended into violent chaos". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- Hooton, Christopher (2018-10-19). "Forget Love Island – the 1970s 'Sex Raft' social experiment was where the real drama was at". The Independent. Retrieved 2019-05-18.
- Mangan, Lucy (2 June 2019). "Storyville: The Raft review – almost too deliciously ludicrous to be true". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- Adams, David (May 1986). "The Seville Statement on Violence: A Progress Report". Journal of Peace Research. 26 (2): 113–121. doi:10.1177/0022343389026002001. ISSN 0022-3433.
- David, Adams; S. A., Barnett; N. P., Bechtereva; Bonnie F., Carter; Jose M. Rodriquez, Delgado; Jose Luis, Diaz; Andrzej, Eliasz; Santiago, Genoves; Benson E., Ginsburg (1990). "The Seville Statement on Violence". American Psychologist. 45 (10): 1167–1168. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.45.10.1167. ISSN 1935-990X.
|This article about an anthropologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|