Varghese Malayil Lukose "Saju" Muthalaly (born 1979) is an Indian-British Anglican priest. Since 2015, he has been priest-in-charge and then vicar of St Mark's Church, Gillingham. In November 2021, it was announced that he would be the next Bishop of Loughborough, a suffragan bishop in the Church of England's Diocese of Leicester. He will be the youngest bishop in the Church of England.
|Vicar of St Mark's Church, Gillingham|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Rochester|
|In office||2019 to present|
|Other post(s)||Bishop-designate of Loughborough (Nov 2021–Jan 2022)|
|Ordination||2008 (deacon) |
|Birth name||Varghese Malayil Lukose Muthalaly|
|Born||1979 (age 42–43)|
|Alma mater||Southern Asia Bible College, Bangalore |
Wycliffe Hall, Oxford
Early life and educationEdit
Muthalaly was born in 1979 in South India Kerala. He grew up in a leprosy hospital in Bangalore, where his mother was a nurse. His family were part of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church, and he "committed his life to Christ" as a teenager. He studied at the Southern Asia Bible College in Bangalore, graduating with a Bachelor of Theology (BTh) degree in 2001. Having moved to the United Kingdom in 2001, he trained for ordination at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, an evangelical Anglican theological college, and graduated from the University of Oxford with a further BTh in 2008.
Muthalaly was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 2008 and as a priest in 2009. From 2008 to 2011, he served his curacy at St Thomas' Church, Lancaster, a charismatic evangelical church in the Diocese of Blackburn. He then moved to the Diocese of Carlisle, where he was an associate vicar at St Thomas' Church, Kendal and St Catherine's Church, Crook from 2011 to 2015. In 2015, he joined St Mark's Church, Gillingham and St Mary's Island in the Diocese of Rochester as priest in charge. He was made vicar of St Mark's Gillingham in 2019.
On 12 November 2021, it was announced that Muthalaly had been appointed the next Bishop of Loughborough, the suffragan bishop of the Diocese of Leicester, in succession to Guli Francis-Dehqani. He is due to be consecrated a bishop in January 2022, which will make him the youngest bishop in the Church of England.
Muthalaly is married to Katy. Together they have four children. In his spare time, he is a keen cricketer and has represented the Canterbury & Rochester (Rocherbury) Diosesan team and West Farleigh CC where he has shone as a big hitting all-rounder. He captained the Diocesan team to the Semi Finals of the Church Times Cup in 2017.
- "Suffragan Bishop of Loughborough: 12 November 2021". GOV.UK. Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street. 12 November 2021. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "Varghese Malayil Lukose (Saju) Muthalaly". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "Next Suffragan Bishop of Loughborough Announced". Diocese of Leicester. 12 November 2021. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- Davies, Madeleine (12 November 2021). "Kerala and Kent provide the next Bishop of Loughborough". Church Times. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "Meet the Trustees". Simeon's Trustees and Hyndman's Trustees. Archived from the original on 28 November 2021. Retrieved 28 November 2021.
- "West Farleigh CC". wfarleigh.play-cricket.com. Retrieved 2021-12-24.
- "Cricket: Lichfield and London to meet again in Cricket final". www.churchtimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2021-12-24.