Saint Vincent Academy
Saint Vincent Academy (SVA), is a four-year, Catholic, college preparatory school for women located on West Market Street in Newark, New Jersey, United States. It operates under the supervision of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary School since 1990.
|Saint Vincent Academy|
228 West Market Street
|Motto||Classmate by Chance, Sister by Choice|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic Church|
|Founder||Sisters of Charity|
|Sister school||Saint Benedict's Preparatory School|
|NCES School ID||00861638|
|President||Sister June Favata, SC|
|Principal||Joan M. Tyburczy|
|Student Services Director||Mary F. Nolan|
|Enrollment||248 (as of 2017–18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.4:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Catholic Girls League; Super Essex Conference (2009)|
|Team name||Lady Panthers|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||Expressions (literary magazine)|
|Athletic Director||Leanne Sleboda|
As of the 2017–18 school year, the school had an enrollment of 248 students and 26.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 9.4:1. The school's student body was 58.9% (146) Black, 19.4% (48) White, 12.9% (32) Hispanic, 5.2% (13) two or more races and 2.8% (7) Asian.
The academy was founded in 1869 by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, and named for St. Vincent de Paul. Saint Vincent Academy currently holds the distinction of being the only private high school for women in the city of Newark in New Jersey. The current administrative team consists of Sister June Favata, S.C. Sr. Margaret Killough, S.C., and Ms. Mary F. Nolan. This school has one of the highest graduation rates of any school in Newark and Essex County. Down the street from Saint Vincent Academy is Science Park High School, Essex County College, History High, Saint Benedict's Preparatory School and next to that school is Arts High.
The Saint Vincent Academy Panthers compete in the Super Essex Conference, which was established following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 366 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2019–20 school year as Non-Public B for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 37 to 366 students in that grade range (equivalent to Group II for public schools).
- Tuition, Saint Vincent Academy. Accessed October 28, 2020.
- Saint Vincent Academy, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Elementary and Secondary Schools. Accessed October 28, 2020.
- Saint Vincent Academy, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 20, 2020.
- School data for St Vincent Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 1, 2020.
- Essex County Catholic High Schools, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. Accessed August 13, 2017.
- Fast Facts, Saint Vincent Academy. Accessed October 28, 2020.
- League & Conference Officers/Affiliated Schools 2020-2021, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 20, 2020.
- NJSIAA General Public School Classifications 2019–2020, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 20, 2020.