Saint John of Las Vegas
|Saint John of Las Vegas|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Hue Rhodes|
|Screenplay by||Hue Rhodes|
|Story by||Dante Alighieri|
|Music by||David Torn|
|Edited by||Annette Davey|
Circle of Confusion
|Distributed by||IndieVest Pictures|
The film, directed and written for the screen by Hue Rhodes (based on a story by Dante Alighieri) and produced by Steve Buscemi, Stanley Tucci, and Spike Lee, follows an ex-gambler as he takes a road trip with his new partner, an auto insurance fraud debunker, to investigate a fraud, while meeting a series of offbeat characters, including a carnival's human torch, a paraplegic stripper, and a nude militant, along the way.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2015)
A compulsive gambler attempts to cure his addiction by moving from Las Vegas to Albuquerque and working at an auto insurance company, only to find old temptations cropping up once again when he's sent out to investigate a dubious car accident just outside Sin City.
After a string of bad luck at the tables, John (Steve Buscemi) decides to give up gambling and take a shot at a "normal" life. Arriving in Albuquerque and landing a job at an auto insurance company, John goes to work for Mr. Townsend (Peter Dinklage), who pairs him with the company's top fraud debunker, Virgil (Romany Malco), and sends them out on an investigation together. While John is eager to get a promotion, he's reluctant to go anywhere near Las Vegas, and before he leaves he strikes up a tenuous romance with his eccentric co-worker, Jill (Sarah Silverman).
On the road, Virgil and John encounter a series of offbeat characters including Ned, a nude militant (Tim Blake Nelson), Tasty D Lite, a wheelchair-using stripper (Emmanuelle Chriqui), and a carnival human torch (John Cho). But while Virgil is the one with the experience, John gradually begins to assert himself and soon his efforts begin to pay off as the case moves closer to conclusion. As John's confidence grows, he becomes increasingly aware of the fact that running away from his gambling problem is not the solution, and that he'll only be able to move forward by returning to Las Vegas to face his demons head on.
- Steve Buscemi as John, a quitting gambler
- Romany Malco as Virgil, an insurance fraud investigator
- Sarah Silverman as Jill, John's co-worker and love interest
- Peter Dinklage as Mr. Townsend, John's boss
- Tim Blake Nelson as Ned, a nude militant
- Danny Trejo as Bismarck
- John Cho as Smitty, a carnival human torch
- Emmanuelle Chriqui as Tasty D Lite, a paraplegic stripper
- Aviva as Penny
Release and receptionEdit
- "Saint John of Las Vegas (2010) – Box Office Mojo". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2010-03-19.
- High-Risk Glamour: A Piece of an Indie Flick, Wall Street Journal
- "Saint John of Las Vegas (2010) – Weekend Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2010-02-12.[permanent dead link]
- "The Numbers - Box Office Data". The-Numbers. Retrieved 2012-010-12. Check date values in:
- "Saint John of Las Vegas Movie Reviews, Pictures – Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- Entertainment Weekly February 5, 2010 pg. 50.