- XML-related features (SQL/XML)
- Window functions
- the sequence generator, which allows standardized sequences
- two new column types: auto-generated values and identity-columns
- the new MERGE statement
- extensions to the CREATE TABLE statement, to allow "CREATE TABLE AS" and "CREATE TABLE LIKE"
- removal of the poorly implemented "BIT" and "BIT VARYING" data types
- OLAP capabilities (initially added in SQL:1999) were extended with a window function.
The SQL standard is not freely available but may be purchased from ISO or ANSI. A late draft is available as a zip archive from Whitemarsh Information Systems Corporation. The zip archive contains a number of PDF files that define the parts of the SQL:2003 specification.
- Eisenberg, Andrew; et al. (March 2004). "SQL:2003 Has Been Published". SIGMOD Record. 33 (1): 119. doi:10.1145/974121.974142. Archived from the original (pdf) on 2007-11-11. Retrieved 2007-08-14.
- Christian S. Jensen; Torben Bach Pedersen; Christian Thomsen (2010). Multidimensional Databases and Data Warehousing. Morgan & Claypool Publishers. p. 26. ISBN 978-1-60845-537-9.
- BNF Grammar for ISO/IEC 9075:2003 – SQL/Framework