SIM University (Abbreviation: UniSIM) was a private university in Singapore from 2005 to 2017. The university was established and managed under the Singapore Institute of Management Group (SIM). From 2010 to 2017, UniSIM was registered under the Committee for Private Education (CPE). During its operations, it was Singapore's only private university that practices an Open-door academic policy towards working adults.
|SIM Open University Centre (1994-2005)|
Clementi, Singapore |
|Restructured into the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) in 2017 and brought under the ambit of Ministry of Education (Singapore).|
In 2017, UniSIM was restructured into the sixth autonomous university, Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) and brought under the ambit of the Ministry of Education. Subsequently, SUSS conducted an exercise to issue certificates in SUSS for UniSIM certificates. However, a statement will indicate that these qualifications had been received under the former’s name.
Open University Degree Programme (1994–2005)Edit
In 1992, SIM was selected by the Ministry of Education (Singapore) (MOE) to run the Open University Degree Programme (OUDP), in collaboration with The Open University, United Kingdom (OUUK). In 1994, the first batch of SIM OUDP’s 900 students studied only among three degree programmes. In 1998, the first graduation ceremony with 334 was graced by former Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore Dr Tony Tan.
In 2002, OUDP attaining accreditation status and was re-named Singapore Institute of Management's Open University Centre (SIM-OUC) as one of SIM's autonomous entity.
In 2005, SIM received the mandate from MOE to form SIM University (UniSIM) to forge upgrading opportunities for working adult from diverse academic qualifications and work experiences.
Established on the foundation SIM-OUC, UniSIM took over more than 6,500 students from SIM-OUC studying in over 40 programmes. SIM-OUC students who graduated from 2006 and onwards were given a choice between a UniSIM or OUUK degree.
UniSIM provides an avenue for working adults who have previously missed education opportunities to upgrade their qualifications and skills. The University also provide opportunities for working adult to pursue their passion or chart a different career course. The quality of the programmes are high, flexible and made accessible through e-learning to working adults. Many continuous education courses were made scalable to suit different organisations.
UniSIM's logo consists of three wave-like strokes.
Restructuring into SUSSEdit
On 12 October 2016, Acting Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) and Senior Minister of State for Defence Mr Ong Ye Kung announced that the Government invited UniSIM to become Singapore’s 6th autonomous university. Subsequently, on 11 November 2016, the SIM governing council voted in favour to bring the university under the ambit of MOE.
In 2017, UniSIM was restructured into the Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) and became Singapore’s sixth autonomous university under the ambit of the Ministry of Education (MOE). It is no longer a member of the Singapore Institute of Management Group (SIM).
UniSIM and SIM GEEdit
The public may view both UniSIM and SIM Global Education (SIM GE) as SIM students, in actual fact they are both different business units of the SIM Group. UniSIM was a private university which offered government subsidised programmes whereas SIM GE partners with University of London International Programmes, RMIT University etc to offer their programmes in Singapore.
The university adopted a flexible admission criteria. Criteria to its undergraduate programmes were at least two GCE 'A' level passes or a polytechnic diploma, at least two years' work experience and minimum at 21 years old.
- "Council for Private Education: SIM University". Council for Private Education, Singapore. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- "Milestones". SUSS. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Post-secondary education". Ministry of Education, Singapore. Ministry of Education, Singapore. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Degree Certificate Request Registration Form". 2 February 2018.
- "SIM Open University Centre Keeps Up The Numbers For Eighth Year Running". SUSS. Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "Government Proposes For UniSIM To Become Singapore's Sixth Autonomous University". SUSS Government Proposes For UniSIM To Become Singapore's Sixth Autonomous University. 12 October 2016.
- "SIM University closer to becoming Singapore's sixth autonomous university". SUSS SIM University closer to becoming Singapore's sixth autonomous university. 11 November 2016.
- http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/unisim-renamed-singapore-university-social-sciences 'UniSIM renamed S’pore University of Social Sciences'
- http://www.unisim.edu.sg/Happenings/newsrelease/Pages/MR2005-3.aspx 'SIM University To Enhance Opportunities For Learning And Knowledge Upgrading For Adult Learners'