Shay K. Azoulay
Shay K. Azoulay (Hebrew: שי אזולאי) is an Israeli writer who writes in English and Hebrew.
Shay K. Azoulay
|Born||December 24, 1979|
|Occupation||novelist, playwright, translator|
Azoulay's debut play, "The Platoon", a satire about the IDF, won first place in the 2012 staged reading festival "Zav Kriah". The play was staged in Tel Aviv's Tzavtah Theater in 2014-2015 and received good reviews in the press, including a review by prominent theater critic Michael Handelzalts, who compared it to the work of Hanoch Levin. The play also stirred controversy, following an article which mistakenly claimed that the play depicts IDF soldiers raping Palestinian women. A member of the Tel Aviv municipal council sent a letter to the theater, demanding that they stop the staging of the play. Azoulay's other work includes the one-act play "Shade", which participated in the Tzavtah Theater's 2012 Short play Festival, and "Barabas" - a reimagining of Christopher Marlowe's "The Jew of Malta".
Azoulay has also written a series of short stories entitled "Minor Writers of the Entropic Age". These stories include "The Invention of H. P. Lovecraft", published in Flapperhouse Magazine, "The Bard of Hastings" published in The Cost of Paper  and "Permaculture", which won second prize in the 2016 Zoetrope: All-Story short fiction contest. Also included in this series is "Jacob Wallenstein, Notes for a Future Biography", a work of fiction regarding a "forgotten" Israeli science fiction novelist and his 1,000 page magnum opus. In 2013 Azoulay submitted this story to Tablet magazine, claiming that it was a true account of the nonexistent writer's life and work. An editor at the magazine was initially excited by the story, but eventually discovered that it was a hoax, though he decided to publish the story anyway, together with a forward explaining his discovery of the hoax.
Other short works by Azoulay have appeared in The Molotov Cocktail and McSweeney's Internet Tendency.
- IDF Satire wins first prize - Ynet, 1 April 2012 (in Hebrew)
- "The Platoon" - Princes of the Washtub - Haaretz, 18 January 2015 (in Hebrew)
- Senior Tel Aviv Council Member: Tzavtah is Demeaning the IDF - Ynet, 6 January 2015 (in Hebrew)
- Lazaretto, Shay K. Azoulay (in Hebrew)
- The Invention of H. P. Lovecraft - Flapperhouse Magazine, Fall 2016.
- The Bard of Hastings - The Cost of Paper Vol. 5, Spring 2018.
- Twentieth Annual Zoetrope: All-Story Short Fiction Contest - List of winners, Zoetrope: All-Story
- Jacob Wallenstein Is the Greatest Science-Fiction Writer to Never Have Lived - Tablet Magazine, 16 October 2013
- Yom Kippur War: Syrians at the Border by Danny Asher
- Job and Jesus Combine to Overcome - New York Times review of 2006 production of Hanoch Levin's Job's Passion translated by Azoulay