S. Abdul Rahman
S. Abdul Rahman (Tamil: அப்துல் ரகுமான்; 9 November 1937 – 2 June 2017) was a Tamil poet from Tamil Nadu, India. He was known by the title Kaviko (lit. Emperor among poets). He was ex-chairman of Waqf board of Tamil Nadu.
Abdul Rahman was born in Madurai in 1937 and died on June 2, 2017. He was a professor of Tamil for 29 years at Islamiah College, Vaniyambadi. He belonged to the Vanambadi literary movement.In 1999, his poetry collection Aalapanai won the Sahitya Akademi Award for Tamil. In 2009, he was made the chairman of the Wakf board of Tamil Nadu. He was also a member of the Tamil Language Promotion Board of the Central Institute of Classical Tamil.
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- Paal veedhi
- Neyar viruppam
- Suttu viral
- velangugal illa kavithaigal
- Tamil Sahitya Akademi Awards 1955-2007 Sahitya Akademi Official website.
- "Sunday Celebrity: ‘Kaviko’ Abdul Rahman, from literary sphere to community development". Asian Tribune. 20 December 2009. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- Sivasankari (1998). Knit India Through Literature: The South. Eastwest Books. pp. xi. ISBN 978-81-86852-11-8.
- "Tamil Language Promotion Board". Centre of Excellence for Classical Tamil. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "In tune with tradition". Frontline. 28 February 2004. Retrieved 28 June 2010.