São Paulo Brazil Temple
Coordinates: The São Paulo Brazil Temple (formerly the São Paulo Temple) is the 19th constructed and 17th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). Located in the Brazilian city of São Paulo, it was the first LDS temple built in South America, and also the first temple to use the single story, single spire design. The spire is 101 feet (31 m) tall.
|São Paulo Brazil Temple|
|Dedicated||30 October 1978 by |
Spencer W. Kimball
|Site||1.85 acres (0.7 hectares)|
|Floor area||59,246 sq ft (5,504 m2)|
|Preceded by||Washington D.C. Temple|
|Followed by||Tokyo Japan Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The intention to construct a temple in São Paulo was announced by the LDS Church on March 1, 1975, with construction beginning twelve months later. Hundreds of local church members gathered to clear the site, which included removing brush, weeds, and banana trees. Hundreds more members donated their time to produce fifty thousand blocks of cast stone composed of quartz, marble chips, and white concrete for the exterior of the temple. It was dedicated on October 30, 1978, by church president Spencer W. Kimball. The temple has two ordinance rooms and four sealing rooms, and has a total floor area of 59,246 square feet (5,504 m2).
On August 20, 2003, a gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni was added to the temple during an extensive renovation and enlargement project 25 years after its dedication. Church president Gordon B. Hinckley rededicated the São Paulo Brazil Temple on February 22, 2004.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Brazil
- Brigham, Janet (October 1978). "The Sao Paulo Temple: Story of Sacrifice and Learning". The Ensign. Retrieved October 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Berteaux, Kelsey; Rosner, Jannalee. "10 Things You Didn't Know about the Angel Moroni Statue". LDS Living. Retrieved October 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Assis, Fernando (January 30, 2004). "Sao Paulo temple ready for re-dedication". The Church News. Retrieved October 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Stack, Peggy Fletcher. "All Latter-day Saint temples to close due to coronavirus", The Salt Lake Tribune, 26 March 2020. Retrieved on 28 March 2020.
- Satterfield, Rick. "São Paulo Brazil Temple: Presidents", ChurchofJesusChristTemples.org, 2020. Retrieved on 28 March 2020.
- Media related to São Paulo Brazil Temple at Wikimedia Commons
- São Paulo Brazil Temple Official site
- São Paulo Brazil Temple at ChurchofJesusChristTemples.org