|No. 85 – New England Patriots|
|Born:||December 21, 1995|
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Pope John XXIII Regional|
(Sparta Township, New Jersey)
|NFL Draft:||2018 / Round: 7 / Pick: 250|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Izzo grew up in Highland Lakes, New Jersey and attended Pope John XXIII Regional High School in Sparta, New Jersey. Izzo began his high school career at Vernon Township High School, where he anticipated playing quarterback. However, despite his speed, strength and athleticism, he was moved to offensive tackle. After being misused at Vernon, his parents felt that transferring to Pope John – a perennial football powerhouse – would enable Izzo to switch to a skill position and increase his chances for exposure. Initially, he had drawn little interest from NCAA Division I football programs, until Virginia Tech expressed interest and 20 other schools followed thereafter before he graduated in 2014. As a senior, he tallied 766 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. Along with playing football, he also played basketball. Izzo committed to play college football for the Florida State Seminoles on September 23, 2013.
As a redshirt freshman in 2015, Izzo played in all 13 of Florida State's games, catching 14 passes for 210 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 146 yards and one touchdowns on 12 attempts.
In 2016, Izzo once again played in all 13 games, catching 19 passes for 227 yards, tallying one touchdown.
Prior to the 2017 season, Izzo was named to the John Mackey Award watch list. As a redshirt junior, he played and started in all 13 games for Florida State, having 19 receptions for 306 yards and three touchdowns.
His most notable moment that season came on Veterans Day against Clemson. With the ball on the Seminoles' own 40-yard line, quarterback James Blackman took the snap, handed the ball off to his running back, who pitched it to a wide receiver, who pitched it back to Blackman. Blackman found Izzo wide open downfield, then Izzo dodged one defender and rumbled his way to the end zone for a 60-yard touchdown.
Izzo was also involved in a few off the field incidents, one resulting in him beating up a high schooler, and the other resulted in him killing a turtle.
New England PatriotsEdit
Izzo was drafted by the New England Patriots in the seventh round (250th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. On September 2, 2018, Izzo was placed on injured reserve with the option of returning in 2018. Without Izzo, the Patriots reached Super Bowl LIII where they defeated the Los Angeles Rams 13-3.
- Stein, Peter. "Sussex Seminole: Vernon resident, Pope John grad Ryan Izzo starts at TE for Florida State", New Jersey Herald, September 9, 2015. Accessed January 4, 2018. "Vernon resident and 2014 Pope John graduate Ryan Izzo did start at tight end for Florida State and did catch a 13-yard touchdown pass from Golson in the Seminoles’ 59-16 victory over Texas State Saturday night at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Fla."
- "Football: Ryan Izzo of Pope John commits to Florida State". nj.com. Retrieved January 3, 2018.
- "Ryan Izzo 2015 Player Statistics". cfbstats.com. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Ryan Izzo 2016 Player Statistics". cfbstats.com. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "FSU tight end Ryan Izzo named to John Mackey Award Watch List". Noles247. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "Ryan Izzo 2017 Player Statistics". cfbstats.com. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "FSU's Ryan Izzo declares early for NFL Draft, Florida State very thin at tight end". Tomahawk Nation. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- "2018 NFL draft: Patriots select TE Ryan Izzo with the 250th overall pick". PatsPulpit.com. April 28, 2018. Retrieved June 28, 2018.
- "Patriots Sign Eight to the Practice Squad; Place TE Ryan Izzo on Injured Reserve". Patriots.com. September 2, 2018.