Rudolph, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rudolph of Anhalt-Zerbst (Harzgerode, 28 October 1576 – Zerbst, 30 July 1621), was a German prince of the House of Ascania and ruler of the unified Principality of Anhalt. From 1603, he was ruler of the principality of Anhalt-Zerbst.
|Rudolph, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst|
Rudolph, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst
|Born||28 October 1576|
|Died||30 July 1621 (aged 44)|
|Noble family||House of Ascania|
|Spouse(s)||Dorothea Hedwig of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel|
Magdalene of Oldenburg
|Father||Joachim Ernest, Prince of Anhalt|
|Mother||Eleonore of Württemberg|
In 1586, after the death of his father, Rudolph inherited the principality of Anhalt jointly with his half- and full brothers, but because he was still a minor, his older brother John George I acted as regent.
His Grand Tour began in 1600 when he arrived in Sicily. With his younger brother Louis, Rudolph spent a year in Florence. On 21 November 1601 he was admitted to the University of Siena. A year later, in 1602, the prince left Switzerland (where he had lived for some time) and returned to Dessau.
In 1603, a formal division of the principality of Anhalt was agreed upon by Rudolph and his surviving brothers. He received Zerbst, where his main residence was, and supported there the renovation of the Gymnasium Francisceum, beginning with the addition of a library. In 1618, Rudolph joined the Fruitbearing Society.
Marriages and issueEdit
In Wolfenbüttel on 29 December 1605 Rudolph married Dorothea Hedwig (b. Wolfenbüttel, 3 February 1587 – d. Zerbst, 16 October 1609), daughter of Henry Julius, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg. They had four daughters:
- Stillborn daughter (Zerbst, October? 1606).
- Dorothea (b. Zerbst, 25 September 1607 – d. Hitzacker, 26 September 1634), married on 26 October 1623 to Augustus, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg.
- Eleonor (b. Zerbst, 10 November 1608 – d. Osterholm, 2 November 1681), married on 15 February 1632 to Frederick, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Norburg.
- Stillborn daughter (Zerbst, 16 October 1609).
The death of his wife caused Rudolph to fall into a deep depression, according to contemporary witnesses.
In Oldenburg on 31 August 1612 Rudolph married for a second time to Magdalene (b. Oldenburg, 6 October 1585 – d. Coswig, 14 April 1657), heiress of Jever and daughter of John VII, Count of Oldenburg; only when Rudolph met her did he find a way out of his depression. They had two children:
- Elisabeth (b. Zerbst, 1 December 1617 – d. Oldenburg, 3 June 1639).
- John VI, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst (b. Zerbst, 24 March 1621 – d. Zerbst, 4 July 1667).
- Franz Kindscher: Rudolf. In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Band 29, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1889, S. 519–523.
- Marek, Miroslav. "Complete Genealogy of the House of Ascania". Genealogy.EU.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Genealogical database by Herbert Stoyan
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rudolph, Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst.|
Rudolph, Prince of Anhalt-ZerbstBorn: 28 October 1576 Died: 30 July 1621
| Prince of Anhalt
with John George I,
Bernhard (until 1596),
John Ernest (until 1601)
Principality partitioned in Anhalt-Dessau, Anhalt-Bernburg, Anhalt-Plötzkau, Anhalt-Zerbst and Anhalt-Köthen
|New division|| Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst
| Lord of Jever|