Ron Merkel Federal Court of Australia.is an Australian jurist, who was formerly a Judge of the
In 1985 Merkel, along with Uncle Jim Berg, and Ron Castan, sued the University of Melbourne and the Museum of Victoria for the return of their collections of Indigenous cultural material and through this act created the Koorie Heritage Trust.
He is known for "Shaw v Wolf" (1998), which dealt with the definition of people as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander for the purposes of applying the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission Act 1989. He established three criteria to consider when determining whether a person is Aboriginal: descent, self-identification and community recognition.
- "Ron Merkel QC - Barrister Profile". Victorian Bar. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Koorie Heritage Trust". www.yarrahealing.catholic.edu.au. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Former judges". Federal Court of Australia. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- 'Courageous' judge retires
- Connell, Rachel (1998). "Who is an 'Aboriginal Person'?: Shaw v Wolf". Indigenous Law Bulletin 20. 4 (12). Retrieved 4 January 2020 – via austlii.