Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Blantyre
The cathedral church of the archdiocese is the Our Lady of Wisdom Cathedral, Blantyre.
The Archdiocese of Blantyre is 9,166 square miles (23,740 km2). Out of a total population of 4,600,000, there are 1,133,850 Catholics. There are 78 priests and 287 religious.
As of Wednesday, July 3, 2013, the archdiocese is a vacant see (sede vacante). The metropolitan archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Blantyre (he had served since January 23, 2001), Archbishop Tarcisius Gervazio Ziyaye, age 60, was appointed by Pope Francis to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of the Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lilongwe, which had previously, as a diocese, been a part of the Archdiocese of Blantyre's ecclesiastical province. Archbishop Ziyaye had once been Bishop of Lilongwe when it was a diocese.
- Prefect Apostolic of Shiré
- Father Auguste Prézeau, S.M.M.:1903.12.03 - 1908.04.18 see below
- Vicars apostolic of Shiré
- Vicar apostolic of Blantyre (Roman rite)
- John Baptist Hubert Theunissen, S.M.M.:see above 1952.05.15 – 1959.04.25 see below
- Metropolitan archbishops of Blantyre (Roman rite)
- James Chiona (1965-1967), appointed Archbishop here
- Montfort Stima (Sitima) (2010-2013), appointed Bishop of Mangochi
Other priest of this diocese who became bishopEdit
- Peter Martin Musikuwa, appointed Bishop of Chikwawa in 2003