Roll-your-own cigarette

Roll-your-own cigarettes refer to cigarettes made from loose tobacco also called shag and rolling paper. Factory-made cigarettes are called tailor-made cigarettes.

A roll-your-own cigarette

Rolling tobaccoEdit

Rolling tobacco, or cigarette tobacco, is the primary tobacco used for RYO cigarettes. It is generally packaged in pouches[citation needed]. After 2009, the United States federal tax rate on RYO tobacco was raised from $1.0969 per pound to $24.78 per pound.[1] This increase has caused many people to switch to using pipe tobacco to make cigarettes, since the pipe tobacco tax rate was also increased, but only to $2.83 per pound.[2]


Lighting a roll-your-own cigarette.

RYO has become more popular in the United States in recent years, but relatively few smokers, only 6.7%, actually roll their own cigarettes.[citation needed] In contrast, this rate was 15% in Canada, 22% in Australia, and 30% in the UK.[3] Reasons for this difference include the generally lower price of traditional cigarettes in most states in the US compared to Canada and Europe.[citation needed]

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ "27 CFR 41.30 - Pipe tobacco and roll-your-own tobacco tax rates". Retrieved 30 May 2015.
  2. ^ "Bill Would Close Tax Code Loophole on Roll-Your-Own Tobacco - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids". Partnership for Drug-Free Kids. Retrieved 30 May 2015.
  3. ^ Young, D; Borland, R; Hammond, D; Cummings, KM; Devlin, E; Yong, HH; O'Connor, RJ (2006). "Prevalence and attributes of roll‐your‐own smokers in the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey". Tob Control. 15 Suppl 3: iii76–82. doi:10.1136/tc.2005.013268. PMC 2593057. PMID 16754951.

External linksEdit

  • "26 U.S.C. § 5702 : US Code - Section 5702: Definitions". Retrieved 11 November 2013. US tax code definitions