Roger Marsh Blench (born 1953) is a British linguist, ethnomusicologist and development anthropologist. He has an M.A. and a Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge and is based in Cambridge, England. He researches, publishes, and works as a consultant.
Roger Marsh Blench
|Born||August 1, 1953|
|Alma mater||Cambridge University (Ph.D.)|
|Fields||Historical linguistics, African languages, Southeast Asian languages, Anthropology|
A noted expert in African linguistics,[dubious ] Blench has specialized in the Niger–Congo language family, although he has also researched the Nilo-Saharan and Afroasiatic families. He has also written about other language families and endangered languages. Additionally, Blench has published on the relationship between linguistics and archaeology. Blench is engaged in a long-term project to document the languages of central Nigeria.
Blench collaborated with the late Professor Kay Williamson, who died in January 2005, and is now a trustee of the Kay Williamson Educational Fund, which exists both to publish the unpublished material left by Kay Williamson and to promote the study of Nigerian languages. A series of publications supported by the trust is under way with Rüdiger Köppe Verlag in Cologne.
- David Henry Crozier; R. Blench; Keir Hansford (1992). An index of Nigerian languages. Nigerian Educational Research and Development Council. Language Development Centre, University of Ilorin. Dept. of Linguistics & Nigerian Languages, Summer Institute of Linguistics. Summer Institute of Linguistics. ISBN 0-88312-611-7.
- Blench, Roger; Spriggs, Matthew, eds. (Aug 28, 1997). Theoretical and Methodological Orientations. Archaeology and language. 1. London ; New York: Routledge. ISBN 0415117607. LCCN 96044969. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Blench, Roger; Spriggs, Matthew, eds. (1998). Archaeological Data and Linguistic Hypotheses. Archaeology and language. 2. London ; New York: Routledge. ISBN 0415117615. LCCN 96044969. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Blench, Roger; Spriggs, Matthew, eds. (1997). Artefacts, Languages and Texts. Archaeology and language. 3. London ; New York: Routledge. ISBN 0415100542. LCCN 96044969. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Blench, Roger; Spriggs, Matthew, eds. (1999). Language Change and Cultural Transformation. Archaeology and language. 4. London ; New York: Routledge. ISBN 0415117860. LCCN 96044969. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- 2000. Blench, R. M. & MacDonald, K. C., eds. The Origin and Development of African Livestock. London: University College Press.
- Laurent Sagart; Roger Blench; Alicia Sanchez-Mazas (2005). The Peopling of East Asia: Putting Together Archaeology, Linguistics and Genetics. Psychology Press. ISBN 978-0-415-32242-3.
- Blench, Roger (2006). Archaeology, language, and the African past. Altamira Press. ISBN 978-0-7591-0465-5.
- Sanchez-Mazas, Alicia; Blench, R. M. et al., eds. 2008. Human Migrations in Continental East Asia and Taiwan: matching archaeology, linguistics and genetics. London: Routledge.
- Professional CV, Roger Blench.
- Hewson, John (2007). Blench, Roger (ed.). "Archaeology, Language, and the African Past". Canadian Journal of African Studies. Review. 41 (3): 574–579. JSTOR 40380107.
- Kay Williamson Educational Foundation
- KWEF: Publications supported
- Academic Curriculum Vitae, Roger Blench, January 2021.