According to Joel Poblete, who writes for Mabuse, a cinema magazine, Rodrigo Moreno is one of the members of the so-called "New Argentina Cinema" which began c. 1998.
Many of his films have been critically hailed at various international film festivals. In 1993, he wrote and directed his first short film, Nosotros, which won best film at the Bilbao International Festival of Documentary and Short Films.
His 2006 film, his first film feature he directs alone, is The Minder (Spanish: El Custodio). His 2011 film A Mysterious World premiered In Competition at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival and was nominated for the Golden Bear.
- Mar del Plata Film Festival: FIPRESCI Prize Best Latin-American Film; for Mala época. For its original conception that combines various aspects of contemporary life expressing the young filmmakers point of view; Special Mention, for Mala época; 1998.
- Toulouse Latin America Film Festival: Audience Award; for "Mala época; 1999.
- Sundance Film Festival: NHK Award, for The Minder (Latin America); 2005.
- Berlin International Film Festival: Alfred Bauer Prize, for El Custodio; 2006.
- Bogota Film Festival: Golden Precolumbian Circle; Best Director; Best Film; for El Custodio; 2006.
- Lleida Latin-American Film Festival: ICCI Screenplay Award, for El Descanso; 2003.
- Donostia-San Sebastián International Film Festival: Horizons Award; Special Mention; for El Custodio; 2006.
- Torino International Festival of Young Cinema: Prize of the City of Torino Best Film; International Feature Film Competition; for Mala época; 1998.
- Argentine Film Critics Association Awards: Silver Condor; Best First Film; for Mala época (2000).
- Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema: Best Film; for El Descanso; 2001.
- Argentine Film Critics Association Awards: Silver Condor; Best First Film; for El Descanso; (2003).
- Berlin International Film Festival: Golden Berlin Bear; for El Custodio; 2006.
- Rodrigo Moreno at the Internet Movie Database.
- Poblete, Joel Archived 2007-08-27 at the Wayback Machine. Mabuse Film Magazine, "El cine argentino está muy vital," July 11, 2006.
- Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine Latinoamericano web site.
- The Match Factory web site.
- Poblete, Joel. Ibid.
- "The Competition of the 61st Berlinale". Berlinale. Archived from the original on 2011-01-21. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "Complete Berlin Competition Lineup Announced". twitchfilm. Retrieved 2011-01-21.