Rocky River (North Carolina)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Rocky River is a 95-mile-long (153 km) river in the Piedmont region of North Carolina. It begins in Iredell County near Mooresville and flows south into Cabarrus County, where it is the principal waterway in the county. The river continues southeastward to form the line between Stanly, Union, and Anson counties. It empties into the Pee Dee River just below Norwood, North Carolina at the junction of Stanly, Montgomery, Anson, and Richmond counties, at the foot of the Uwharrie Mountains.
Tributary to Pee Dee River
Map of the Pee Dee River watershed showing the Rocky River
|Source||divide between Rocky River and Catawba River|
|⁃ location||Mooresville, North Carolina|
|⁃ elevation||885 ft (270 m)|
|Mouth||Pee Dee River|
|about 3 miles northeast of Ansonville, North Carolina|
|190 ft (58 m)|
|Length||94.16 mi (151.54 km)|
|Basin size||1,471.3 square miles (3,811 km2)|
|⁃ location||Pee Dee River|
|⁃ average||1,526.06 cu ft/s (43.213 m3/s) at mouth with Pee Dee River|
|River system||Pee Dee River|
|⁃ left||Coddle Creek|
Dutch Buffalo Creek
Little Meadow Creek
Rock Hole Creek
Big Bear Creek
Big Cedar Creek
Little Cedar Creek
|⁃ right||Dye Creek|
- "GNIS Detail - Rocky River". geonames.usgs.gov. US Geological Survey. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Rocky River Topo Map, Stanly County NC (Mount Gilead West Area)". TopoZone. Locality, LLC. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "ArcGIS Web Application". epa.maps.arcgis.com. US EPA. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Rocky River Watershed Report". Waters Geoviewer. US EPA. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "The National Map". U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved Feb 14, 2011.
- "Rocky River Blueway". Carolina Thread Trails. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Record, Anson (2016-06-22). "Anson County tourism boosters tour new kayak and canoe launch at Pee Dee Wildlife Refuge". Anson Record. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "Editorial: Carolina Thread Trail growing Rowan's way - Salisbury Post". Salisbury Post. 2014-12-03. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- Kidd, Erin. "Kathy Kitts: Mother, servant, mayor leaves legacy of caring". The Independent Tribune. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- "This way, visitors: New signage in Cabarrus guides tourists to attractions". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2019-03-11.
- Record, Anson (2016-07-14). "Kayak launch opens at Pee Dee Wildlife Refuge". Anson Record. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Reporters, ActionHub. "Your Guide to Paddling in North Carolina". ActionHub. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Mark Plemmons. "Whooping crane spotted in Kannapolis". The Independent Tribune. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Blueway on the Rocky River in southern Cabarrus could boost county's ecotourism traffic". charlotteobserver. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- email@example.com, Tim Reaves. "Midland officially opens Thread Trail 'blueway' on Rocky River". The Independent Tribune. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Ecotourism: Rowin' Down the River | Cabarrus Magazine". www.cabarrusmagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Land for first Oakboro park purchased 20 years ago - The Stanly News & Press". The Stanly News & Press. 2018-08-05. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Planned Oakboro picnic pavilion sparks parks debate - The Stanly News & Press". The Stanly News & Press. 2018-07-28. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
|This article related to a river in North Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|