This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2020)
Rock Steady Crew is an American breaking and hip hop group which has become a franchise name for multiple groups in other locations. The group's 1983 international hit song "(Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew" (from the group's first studio album Ready for Battle) peaked at No. 6 on the UK Singles Chart, and reached the top 10 in many European countries. Members of Rock Steady Crew featured in the films Flashdance and Beat Street, which ignited international interest in the b-boy subculture.
The group was initially formed in The Bronx, New York City in 1977 by b-boys Jimmy Dee and Jimmy Lee. The Manhattan branch was created by Crazy Legs and B-Boy Fresh. The New York Times called the Rock Steady Crew "the foremost breakdancing group in the world today."[failed verification]
- Frosty Freeze
- Mix Master Mike
- Ken Swift
- Daisy Castro (a.k.a. Baby Love) - lead vocals on "(Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew"
- Ready for Battle (Virgin Records, 1984)
- 30 Years to the Day (Truelements Music, 2007)
|1983||"(Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew"||6|
|2000||"Used to Wish I Could Break with Rock Steady"||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
Appearances in feature filmsEdit
- Wild Style (1982)
- Style Wars (1983)
- Flashdance (1983)
- Beat Street (1984)
- Moonwalker (1988)
- Streets Is Watching (1998)
- ^ "The Official Charts Company - Rocksteady Crew - (Hey You) The Rocksteady Crew". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 19, 2020.
- ^ George, Cassidy (November 26, 2018). "Exploring the birth of the b-boy in 70s New York". i-D. Retrieved February 12, 2020.
- ^ Rock, Doc. "The Dead Rock Stars Club". Thedeadrockstarsclub.com. Retrieved November 18, 2017.
- ^ "Hey You (Rock Steady Crew): The story behind the song". Retrieved December 29, 2021.
- ^ McAleer, Dave; Gregory, Andy; White, Matthew (November 15, 2010). The Virgin Book of British Hit Singles, Volume 2. Random House. p. 400. ISBN 9780753522455.
- ^ "Rock Steady Crew - Hey You The Rock Steady Crew". bpi.co.uk. Retrieved January 15, 2022.
- The Freshest Kids: A History of the B-Boy (DVD), Image Entertainment, 2002.
- Hip-Hop (Korean Comic) (Manhwa), IQ Jump Comics, 1998-2004.
- Official website
- Rock Steady Crew discography at Discogs