French M. Robertson Unit
The French M. Robertson Unit is a maximum-security state prison located on Farm to Market Road 3522 in Abilene, Texas, United States, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Downtown Abilene in Jones County. The prison for males, classified as a "prison," is operated by the Correctional Institutions Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, administered as within Region VI.
|Location||12071 FM 3522|
Abilene, Texas 79601
|Security class||G1-G5, Administrative Segregation, Transient|
|Managed by||TDCJ Correctional Institutions Division|
The Robertson Unit has space for 1,244 inmates in General Population, plus a large Administrative Segregation facility. The Unit has a large garment manufacturing facility, which makes garments for several other State and local corrections facilities. Also notable, is the Robertson Unit's kennel of tracking dogs, and horses for mounted operations.
Beginning in September 2010, the prison serves as a regional release unit for prisoners exiting the TDCJ.
The unit opened in November 1992.
In 1996 a correctional officer fired a bullet, which he described as a "warning" shot, towards an inmate that he said was running from an outside work squad. The bullet hit the inmate between the eyes, killing him. No outside investigation occurred. The Robertson warden declared the "Officer of the Year" award over, giving it to the officer who shot the prisoner.
On July 16, 2016 Correctional Officer Mari Johnson was killed near the prison's kitchen. As of right now it is being ruled a homicide and the TDCJ has yet to release any more information. 
- Anthony Bernard Hampton, perpetrator of the Murder of Pete Shrum
- Colton Pitonyak, perpetrator of the Murder of Jennifer Cave
- James Richard "Ricky" Thompson Jr., perpetrator of the Murder of John Goosey and Stacy Barnett
- Enrique Gutierrez Arochi, perpetrator of the kidnapping and "alleged murder" of Christina Morris.
- "Robertson Unit Archived July 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on July 23, 2010.
- "Super Neighborhood Areas Archived June 9, 2011, at the Wayback Machine." (Direct map link Archived June 9, 2011, at the Wayback Machine) City of Abilene. Retrieved on July 23, 2010.
- Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice (2004). Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Turner Publishing Company. p. 107. ISBN 1-56311-964-1. "The unit was named after French M. Robertson, an Abilene lawyer and oilman."
- "New regional release centers now operating across state Archived 2011-02-20 at the Wayback Machine." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. September–October 2010. Retrieved on March 1, 2011.
- Renaud, Jorge Antonio. "Living Quarters." Behind the Walls: A Guide for Families and Friends of Texas Prison Inmates. University of North Texas Press, 2002. xiii. (PDF 11/25) Retrieved on May 23, 2010. ISBN 1-57441-153-5, ISBN 978-1-57441-153-9.
- Ellis, Ralph. "Texas correctional officer killed in prison." CNN.  Retrieved on July 17, 2016.
- "Offender Information Details (Anthony Bernard Hampton)". Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Pitonyak, Colton Aaron" (Archive). Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on January 9, 2014.
- "Case No. D-1-OC-05-301918-A." (Archive) Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. Posted by the Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved on February 18, 2013.
- "Thompson, James Richard III" (Archive). Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on January 7, 2016.