Roberto Marcelo Levingston Laborda (January 10, 1920 – June 17, 2015) was an Argentine Army general who was President of Argentina from June 18, 1970 to March 22, 1971, during the Revolución Argentina period in Argentine history.
Roberto M. Levingston
|President of Argentina|
Appointed by the military junta
June 18, 1970 – March 21, 1971
|Preceded by||Juan Carlos Onganía|
|Succeeded by||Alejandro Lanusse|
|Born||January 10, 1920|
San Luis, Argentina
|Died||June 17, 2015 (aged 95)|
Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Spouse||Betty Nelly Andrés|
|Children||Roberto Antonio |
Early life and educationEdit
On 18 December 1943, Levingston married Betty Nelly Andrés (born 4 May 1926) and had two sons and one daughter, Roberto, Maria and Alberto.
Levingston's military expertise included intelligence and counterinsurgency, and he took the presidency of Argentina on June 18, 1970 in a military coup that deposed Juan Carlos Onganía over his ineffective response to the Montoneros and other guerillas. His regime was marked by a protectionist economic policy that did little to overcome the inflation and recession that the country was undergoing at the time, and by the imposition of the death penalty against terrorists and kidnappers. In response to renewed anti-government rioting in Córdoba and to the labor crisis under his leadership, he was deposed on March 21, 1971 by another military junta led by Alejandro Lanusse.
He died on June 17, 2015, at the age of 95.
- Lentz, Harris M. (4 February 2014), Heads of States and Governments Since 1945, Routledge, ISBN 9781134264902, retrieved 13 October 2017 – via Google Books
- Limited, Europa Publications (13 October 1990), The International Who's who: 1990-91, Europa Publications Limited, ISBN 9780946653584, retrieved 13 October 2017 – via Google Books
- "Roberto Marcelo Levingston Laborda n. 10 Ene 1920 San Luis, San Luis, Argentina f. 17 Jun 2015 Buenos Aires, Argentina: Genealogía Familiar", Genealogiafamiliar.net, retrieved 13 October 2017
- Lewis, Daniel K. (2001), The History of Argentina, The Greenwood histories of the modern nations, Greenwood Publishing Group, pp. 134–135, ISBN 978-0-313-31256-4.
- Keen, Benjamin; Haynes, Keith (2008), A History of Latin America (8th ed.), Cengage Learning, p. 374, ISBN 978-0-618-78318-2.
- "Murió Roberto Marcelo Levingston", La Nación (in Spanish), June 18, 2015
- "Bety Nelly Andrés Llana n. 4 May 1926 San Miguel, Bs. As., Argentina: Genealogía Familiar", Genealogiafamiliar.net, retrieved 13 October 2017