Robert Stevens (lawyer)
|22nd Master of Pembroke College, Oxford|
|Preceded by||Roger Bannister|
|Succeeded by||Giles Henderson|
|5th Chancellor of the University of California, Santa Cruz|
|Preceded by||Robert Sinsheimer|
|Succeeded by||Karl Pister|
|10th President of Haverford College|
|Preceded by||John Royston Coleman|
|Succeeded by||Tom G. Kessinger|
|Born||8 June 1933|
|Died||30 January 2021 (aged 87)|
|Relatives||Robin Stevens (daughter)|
Stevens was educated at Oakham School and then at Keble College, Oxford, where he obtained his BA and BCL degrees. He was called to the bar in 1956 (becoming a barrister) as a member of Gray's Inn. In 1958, he was awarded an LLM from Yale University, then became a member of staff there, rising from assistant professor (1959–61) to associate professor (1961–65) to professor (1965–76). He was then Provost of Tulane University, Louisiana from 1976 to 1978, when he became President of Haverford College, Pennsylvania, leaving there in 1987 to become Chancellor of the University of California, Santa Cruz. He left Santa Cruz in 1991, and in 1993 returned to England to take up office as Master of Pembroke College, Oxford. He was on the governing body of Abingdon School from 1994 to 2001.
His writings include The Restrictive Practices Court (1965), In Search of Justice (1968), Welfare Medicine in America (1974), The American Law School (1983) and The English Judges (2002).
His children with his first wife, Rosemary A. Stevens, are Carey Stevens and Richard Stevens. He was married to Kathie Booth Stevens (born 16 December 1948), a retired educator, art historian, and magistrate, until his death in Oxford on 30 January 2021. Their daughter is the children's novelist Robin Stevens.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 8 June 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
Dr Robert Stevens, Master of Pembroke College, Oxford, 1993–2001, 78
- "Robert Bocking Stevens, fifth UCSC chancellor, dies at age 87". UC Santa Cruz. 2 February 2021. Retrieved 6 March 2021.
- "Stevens, Dr Robert Bocking". Who's Who 2009. Oxford University Press. December 2008. Retrieved 6 October 2009.
- Lotozo, Eils (30 January 2021). "Robert Bocking Stevens, 1933-2021". Haverford College Magazine.
- Stevens, Robin (2016). Mistletoe and Murder. London: Penguin. p. 351. ISBN 9780141369723.
John Royston Coleman
|10th President of Haverford College
1978 - 1987
Tom G. Kessinger
|5th Chancellor of the University of California, Santa Cruz
1987 – 1991
|22nd Master of Pembroke College, Oxford
1993 - 2001
- Robert B. Stevens Papers (MS 1686). Manuscripts and Archives, Yale University Library.