Robert W. Lafore (born March 11, 1938) is a computer programmer and systems analyst and entrepreneur. He coined the term "interactive fiction", and was an early software developer in this field. He is a best-selling writer in the field of computer programming.
Early life and educationEdit
Lafore has degrees in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics.
Lafore worked as a systems analyst for the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. In the early days of microcomputing, he wrote programs in BASIC for the TRS-80 and founded his own software company.
Lafore wrote a number of text adventure games, for which he coined the term "interactive fiction", for the company Adventure International.
Lafore authored a number of books on the subject of computer programming. One of his early titles was Soul of CP/M., and his book Assembly Language Primer for the IBM PC and XT was a best-seller. Later books included C++ Interactive Course, Object-Oriented Programming in C++, Turbo C Programming for the IBM, and C Programming Using Turbo C++. At one time he was an editor for the Waite Group publishers. He also wrote a novel based on his adventures sailing in the South Pacific.
- Nick Montfort (2005). Twisty Little Passages: An Approach to Interactive Fiction. MIT Press. pp. 7–. ISBN 978-0-262-63318-5.
- Dale Peterson (July 1983). Genesis II, creation and recreation with computers. Reston Pub. Co. p. 196. ISBN 978-0-8359-2434-4.
- Michael J. Tresca (16 November 2010). The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games. McFarland. pp. 100–. ISBN 978-0-7864-6009-0.
- Neal Roger Tringham (10 September 2014). Science Fiction Video Games. CRC Press. pp. 483–. ISBN 978-1-4822-0389-9.
- Book review of Soul of CP/M by David Carroll. in Dr. Dobb's Journal for Users of Small Computer Systems. People's Computer Company. 1984.
- InCider. 2. W. Green. 1984. p. 139.
- Ziff Davis, Inc. (11 March 1986). PC Mag. Ziff Davis, Inc. pp. 23–. ISSN 0888-8507.
- Byte. McGraw-Hill. 1986. p. 297.
- Tim Wegner; Bert Tyler; Mark Peterson; Pieter Branderhorst (1 October 1992). Fractals for Windows. Waite Group Press. p. 360. ISBN 978-1-878739-25-4.
- The New York Times Book Review. New York Times Company. June 1995. p. 35.
- Computer Book Review. CBR Publications. 1988. pp. 6–15.
- WorldCat report for Robert Lafore