Robert Feder (born May 17, 1956) is an American media blogger who was the television and radio columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times from 1980 until 2008, a blogger for Vocalo.org from 2009 until 2010, and a blogger for Time Out Chicago from 2011 until 2013. He now writes a daily media blog on his official website.
Early life and educationEdit
Feder got his start in journalism at Lerner Newspapers' Skokie Life newspaper. He then joined the Chicago Sun-Times in 1980, starting out as a legman for TV/radio columnist Gary Deeb. Feder eventually became the paper's TV and radio columnist after Deeb left to join a Chicago TV station, and Feder remained at the Sun-Times as its TV/radio columnist until the fall of 2008.
Feder joined Time Out Chicago as media critic on January 3, 2011.
On April 8, 2013, Feder announced in an email and on his Facebook page that with the closure of Time Out as a printed magazine and its shift to a digital-only platform, he would accept a buyout of his contract and leave Time Out Chicago.
On August 15, 2013, Feder launched "RobertFeder.com", under a licensing and marketing agreement with Chicago Tribune Media Group. That agreement included some of his blog posts appearing as articles in the Chicago Tribune newspaper. While he continues to blog at his website, his licensing and marketing agreement ended at the end of August 2016 and was not renewed. Since April 26, 2017, he operates his blog under an agreement with the Daily Herald, a newspaper serving the northern, northwestern and western suburbs of Chicago.
- Feder, Robert (September 23, 2008). "Columnist's 'dream come true' nears the end". Chicago Sun-Times. p. 39. Archived from the original on September 25, 2008.
- Feder, Robert (July 19, 2009). "Hero, Mentor, Friend - He was a journalism giant who never placed himself above the stories he reported, says founder of the world's only Walter Cronkite Fan Club". Chicago Sun-Times. p. A3.
- Kapos, Shia (8 April 2013). "Robert Feder leaving Time Out Chicago". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved September 1, 2013.
- Feder, Robert (September 8, 2016). "A new chapter begins for me". Robert Feder. Retrieved October 6, 2019.
- Feder, Robert (April 26, 2017). "My new home at the Daily Herald". Robert Feder. Retrieved January 20, 2020.