Robert F. Munroe Day School
Robert F. Munroe Day School is a K-12 private school in Gadsden County, Florida. The main campus is in Mount Pleasant, an unincorporated area near Quincy, while the kindergarten campus, the Robert F. Munroe Day Kindergarten, is in Quincy proper.
|Robert F. Munroe Day School|
|Campus size||20 acres (8.1 ha)|
The Robert F. Munroe Day Kindergarten John A. Blitch Building is within Quincy proper
The school was established in 1969 as a segregation academy, a place for white parents to enroll their children as the Gadsden County public schools underwent court-ordered desegregation. Originally to be known as the Gadsden Day School, it was ultimately named after board member Robert Fraser Munroe, who died as the school was being established. The first headmaster was S.M. Eubanks.
The school opened to all grade levels in 1970. The day kindergarten Quincy campus opened in 1977.
Since Aug. 1, 2017, Adam Gaffey has been the headmaster of the school. He intends to “return the school to its former glory”.
- Bates Science Building - The building is named after George Davis Bates, Jr. and Mortimer Boulware Bates, and it opened in 1981.
- Billy Don Grant Student Center - Named after a donor, it opened in 1990
- Angus T. Hinson Elementary Science Lab & Maker's Space opened in 2016
- Carolyn Brinson May Auditorium - It was remodeled and given its current name in 2005
- Mary Gray Munroe Library - Built in 1983, it was named after the mother of the school's namesake
- Byron and Isabel Suber Complex - The school gymnasium, which first opened in 1971, was remodeled and given its current name in 1998
- VanLandingham & Mahaffey Building - Built in 1997, it has classrooms for grades 1 and 2. It was named after Jimmy Mahaffey[who?] and Hall VanLandingham[who?].
- Julia Munroe Woodward Elementary Building - Built in 1997, it has classrooms for grades 3-5
The Quincy kindergarten campus includes the John Allen Blitch Child Development Center, which opened in 1987.
- "About Us." Robert F. Munroe Day School. Retrieved on June 5, 2017. "Founded in 1969 in Mt. Pleasant, Florida, the campus[...]" and "91 Old Mt. Pleasant Rd. Quincy FL, 32352"
- "Robert F. Munroe Day School 91 Old Mt. Pleasant Road Quincy, Florida 32352" and "Robert F. Munroe Day Kindergarten 1800 West King Street Quincy, Florida 32351"
- J., White, Headley (2006). "Effects of Desegregation on Gadsden County, Florida Public Schools 1968-1972". Cite journal requires
- "Robert F. Munroe Timeline." Robert F. Munroe Day School. Retrieved on June 5, 2017.
- White, Headley J. (2006). "Effects of Desegregation on Gadsden County, Florida Public Schools 1968-1972 (PhD thesis)". p. 85 (PDF p. 92.
- White, Headley J. (2006). "Effects of Desegregation on Gadsden County, Florida Public Schools 1968-1972 (PhD thesis)". p. 29 (PDF p. 37.