Coyne performing at Theater Der Keller, Cologne, 2010
|Born||Whittingham, Preston, Lancashire, England|
|Genres||Alternative folk, rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, singer|
|Labels||Meyer Records, Turpentine Records, Red Star Digital|
|Associated acts||Kevin Coyne, Jaki Liebezeit, Jon Langford and the Pine Valley Cosmonauts|
Coyne is the son of the musician, painter and author Kevin Coyne, who died in 2004. In Germany Robert and his vocalist brother Eugene, the sons of Coyne's first marriage, appeared on some of their father's recordings including Tough And Sweet (1993) and Sugar Candy Taxi (1999). As a guitarist and multi-instrumentalist, Robert eventually joined his father's band and contributed to several further albums, including Room Full of Fools (2000), Carnival (2002), Donut City (2004) and One Day In Chicago (2005, with Jon Langford and the Pine Valley Cosmonauts).
In 2006 Coyne provided the soundtrack for the Edinburgh Film Festival-winning documentary feature The Great Happiness Space, and in 2007 released his first solo album Death Is Not My Destiny, on which he sang for the first time. The following year, he founded "The Robert Coyne Outfit" to present his music on stage.
With Jaki Liebezeit, the drummer of the avant-garde band Can, he recorded the album The Obscure Department in 2013. Two more albums with Liebezeit, Golden Arc (2014) and I Still Have This Dream (2016), followed. Last Lion, another solo album, was also released in 2016.
- Death Is Not My Destiny (2007), Turpentine Records
- Woodland Conspiracy (2010), Meyer Records
- Soft Tread of the Future, (2012), Red Star Digital
- The Obscure Department (2013, with Jaki Liebezeit), Meyer Records
- Golden Arc (2014, with Jaki Liebezeit), Meyer Records
- Memory Deluxe: I Knew Buffalo Bill 2 (2014, with Jeremy Gluck), Flicknife Records
- I Still Have This Dream (2016, with Jaki Liebezeit), Meyer Records
- Last Lion (2016), Turpentine Records
- "robertycoyneintervew". MUDKISS FANZINE. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Kevin Coyne: Turpentine Records UK". www.kevincoyne.co.uk. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Robert Coyne – laut.de – Band". Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Robert Coyne". Discogs. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Release formats for Robert Coyne - Last Lion". www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Robert Coyne at AllMusic
- Robert Coyne at discogs.com
- Interview with Malcolm Carter at pennyblackmusic.co.uk
- The Great Happiness Space: Tale of an Osaka Love Thief (2006) at imdb.com