April 2, 1948|
Danish Ministry of Culture Illustrator Award (1988)|
National Press Club Award (2008)
During the 1970s, Als' political cartoons appeared in Hovedbladet, Politisk Revy, Ugebladet København, Levende Billeder among other liberal-oriented publications. Als said, in Danish, "The newspapers always supported a proper salary for the working class, so it was actually strange that one always worked for them for free."
Als was employed at the Danish weekly newspaper Weekendavisen from 1980 to 1994. When his former boss at Weekendavisen became editor of the daily newspaper Politiken, Als moved with him. Als has been employed with Politiken from 1994 to the present where his drawings are known for the accuracy of their details. Als has also illustrated books and written cookbooks.
Als has been the recipient of several awards and grants including the Alfred Schmidt Grant (1982), The Danish Ministry of Culture Illustrator Award (1988), The Danish Ministry of Culture Initiative Award (1988), Kai Svarre's Grant (1992), Danish Illustrator of the Year (1996), the Carsten Nielsen Grant (1998), the Victor Award (2001), the Danish Confederation of Trade Unions Culture Award (2003) and the Danish National Press Club Award (2008).
- En spøjs fætter (1986)
- Kvinderne ud af køkkenet! (1988)
- Personlig tog jeg ikke skade af at vokse op (1995)
- Fodfejl og pletskud (1997) cowritten with Poul Einer Hansen
- De tre Bukke Bruse (1998)
- Håbløst bagud (1999) cowritten with Poul Einer Hansen
- Med ved bordet (2000) cowritten with Poul Einer Hansen
- Vin og vrøvl(2002)
- Frit valg på nederste hylde (2002)
- Fyringsrunde (2004)
- Fru Larsen (2006)
- Politisk korrekt
- Under gulvtæppet
- En god Socialdemokrat (2008)