Construction of the Risdon Zinc Works by EZ Industries commenced in 1916. It opened in 1918. The operations of the Risdon Zinc Works were tied in with the mining of zinc in Rosebery. It was built to take advantage of the cheap and plentiful hydroelectric power then available.
The settlement of the suburb of Risdon was almost exclusively that of EZ workers. Pollution from the works was an issue for the company, and successor companies that operated the works as well as disposal of waste out to sea.
- Electrolytic Zinc Co. of Australasia. West Coast Department (1960), Operations of Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia Limited, West Coast Department : Rosbery and Hercules Mines, Tasmania, Electrolytic Zinc Co. of Australasia Ltd, retrieved 12 June 2015
- "Mining". The Leader (Melbourne) (3158). Victoria, Australia. 15 July 1916. p. 22 (WEEKLY). Retrieved 12 February 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- "Risdon Electrolytic Zinc Works". The Mercury. Hobart, Tasmania. 19 May 1919. p. 4. Retrieved 12 June 2015 – via National Library of Australia.
- Burrows, Anthony Ian (1978), An examination of the town planning idea of the garden suburb, and its application to industrial management within the co-operative movement in the early 1920s at the Electrolytic Zinc Company, Risdon, Tasmania, retrieved 12 June 2015
- Environmental Geochemistry Services; Tasmania. Dept. of Environment and Planning; Menzies Centre for Population Health Research; John Miedecke and Partners (1991), Investigation of heavy metals in soil and vegetation around the Pasminco Metals-EZ refinery, Hobart : stage 1, Dept. of Environment and Planning, retrieved 12 June 2015
- Environmental Geochemistry International; Tasmania. Dept. of Environment and Planning; John Miedecke and Partners (1992), Heavy metals in soil and vegetation in the vicinity of the Pasminco Metals-EZ refinery, Hobart, Dept. of Environment and Planning, retrieved 12 June 2015
- TASUNI Research. Aquahealth Division; Jeffries, Maria; Tasmania. Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries; Australian Government Analytical Laboratories; Tasmania. Department of Environment and Land Management; Lutana Soil Contamination Working Group (Tas.) (1995), Investigation of heavy metals in indoor dust, soils and home-grown vegetables : investigations in the vicinity of the Pasminco Metals-EZ refinery, Hobart, Dept. of Environment and Land Management, retrieved 12 June 2015
- Dames & Moore; Pasminco Metals – EZ; Pasminco Australia Limited (1995), Development proposal & environmental management plan : a proposal to implement the paragoethite co-treatment process at Pasminco Metals-EZ, Pasminco Ltd, retrieved 12 June 2015
- Harris, P. T., O'Brien, P. E., Quilty, P., McMinn, A., Holdway, D., Exon, N. F., Hill, P. J., Wilson, C. W., 1999. "Sedimentation and continental slope processes in the vicinity of an ocean waste disposal site, southeastern Tasmania". Australian Journal of Earth Sciences 46, 577-591.
- EZ directors accept bid Canberra Times 10 July 1984 page 15
- Risdon Smelter Mining Link
Media related to Nyrstar Zinc Works, Hobart at Wikimedia Commons