Right Side Up
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Right Side Up is an album by Ralph McTell released in 1976 by Warner Bros. Records/WEA, recorded at Air Studios in London by Pete Henderson and Mike Stavrou, and produced by Ralph McTell and Peter Swettenham (one-time member of band Grapefruit).
|Right Side Up|
|Studio album by |
|Studio||Air Studios, London|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records/WEA|
|Producer||Ralph McTell, Peter Swettenham|
|Ralph McTell chronology|
Musicians who appear on the album include Danny Thompson, (double bass), John Stevens and Pick Withers - (drums) - Rod Clements (of Lindisfarne), - Dave Pegg (from Fairport Convention), bass players. Backing vocals were provided by Tony Rivers - of The Castaways - Ken Gold and John Perry (also one-time member of band Grapefruit). John Martyn played guitar on "River Rising".
All tracks composed by Ralph McTell; except where indicated
- "San Diego Serenade" (Tom Waits) - (McTell - "I've always admired Tom Waits writing for both his melody and his wonderfully evocative lyrics")
- "Tequila Sunset"
- "Weather the Storm" - (McTell - "It remains one of my most requested pieces in live work")
- "River Rising"
- "From Clare to Here" - (McTell - "A chance remark from a fellow building site labourer remembered from 1963 as " it's a long way from Clare to here."
- "Chairman and the Little Man"
- "Country Boys" - (McTell: "Cornwall was in my mind when I wrote this, and Ry Cooder was on everybody's turntable")
- "Slow Burning Companion"
- "May You Never" (John Martyn) - (McTell - "John Martyn has written so many beautiful songs, but I guess this is still my favourite.")
- "Song for Ireland" (additional track, learnt by McTell from the version by Dick Gaughan, written by Phil Colclough originally released in 1982, added to re-release of the album)
- Ralph McTell - vocals, acoustic guitar
- John Martyn - electric guitar on "River Rising"
- Dave Pegg, Rod Clements - bass guitar
- Danny Thompson - acoustic bass
- Sam Mitchell - dobro
- Graham Preskett - keyboards, string arrangements
- Peter Swettenham - keyboards
- John Stevens, Pick Withers - drums, percussion
- John Perry, Ken Gold, Tony Rivers - backing vocals
- Mike Stavrou, Peter Henderson - mixing
- Mike Dymond - photography
- Sleeve notes, CD re-release 2001