In 1960s Vyškovský worked for the State institute for reconstruction of historic towns and monuments (SÚRPMO) in Prague. After a discussion with colleagues, complaining about the limited availability of die-cast Matchbox scale cars sold in the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic only in Tuzex shops, he decided to create similar models from paper. His first model was designed after a die-cast Packard Landaulet model manufactured by Lesney Products under code Y-11 in the series Models of Yesteryear. In October 1968 the newspaper Lidová demokracie published a short article about "ing. Blecha and his colleague" accompanied by photos of paper models Mercedes 38/220 and Packard Landaulet.
The state-owned publishing house SNDK and Vladislav Toman, editor in chief of ABC magazine, showed interest in publishing paper models by Blecha/Vyškovský. Already in 1968 SNDK published their paper diorama "Hussite siege of Karlštejn". ABC Magazine published a simplified paper model of a Packard Landaulet in March 1969. In the following seven years Blecha and Vyškovský published in ABC and SNDK/Albatros a series of further paper models, including a vast model of Prague Castle. From 1976 Vyškovský designed the models for ABC and Albatros on his own. The first published self model was Formula 1 Ferrari 312-T2 of Niki Lauda for ABC. Since 1997 his models have also been published by the company ERKOtyp, which is co-owned by his son Richard.
Books with paper modelsEdit
- Vyškovský, Richard (2004). Velká kniha vystřihovánek ABC : městská památková rezervace [The great book of paper models from ABC magazine : urban architectural reserve]. Praha: BB/art, Ringier ČR. 447 pages. ISBN 80-7341-353-1.
- Vyškovský, Richard (2007). Zlatá kniha vystřihovánek arch. Richarda Vyškovského : 35 vystřihovánek z časopisu ABC a novinka Hrad Točník [Golden book of papermodels by Richard Vyškovský : 35 papermodels from ABC magazine and Castle Točník]. Praha: BB/art in cooperation with Ringier ČR. 395 pages. ISBN 978-80-7381-102-0.
- "Richard Vyškovský vytvořil vlastní království" [Richard Vyškovský created his own kingdom]. ČT24. 20 October 2009. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Zemřel legendární tvůrce papírových vystřihovánek Richard Vyškovský" [Legendary papercraft maker died]. IDNES.CZ. 1 August 2019. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- Fajkus, Stanislav; Kropáček, Josef; Pavelka, Robert (2009). Papírový svět Richarda Vyškovského [Paper world of Richard Vyškovský] (in Czech). Praha: XYZ. ISBN 978-80-7388-271-6.
- md (31 October 1968). "NÁPAD, který by neměl zapadnout". Lidová demokracie (in Czech).
- Česká televize, Seekers of Time: Paper Castle, quot. "The first thing that I made was the Hussite siege of Karlštejn. It was just a primitive drawing of Karlštejn Castle with a few Hussite soldiers around it. This was the commission. It was my cup of tea, because I come from a very patriotic family. I’m a Viennese Czech, and in my early youth I read all the works of Jirásek and all the patriotic works on this topic. The Hussites were very close to my heart." pdf
- ABC mladých techniků a přírodovědců, volume 13, issue 12
- Stanislav Fajkus, Papírová archeologie aneb historie vystřihovánek v ABC (6.), ABC, 26 August 2004
- Commercial register at justice.cz, company number (IČ) 25101226, ERKOTYP, s.r.o., since the incorporation on 21 January 1997 is Richard Vyškovský (born 1968) co-owner and managing director of the company