Rich in Love
Rich in Love is a 1992 drama film directed by Bruce Beresford and starring Albert Finney, Kathryn Erbe, Kyle MacLachlan, Jill Clayburgh, Suzy Amis, and Ethan Hawke. It is based on the 1987 novel Rich in Love by Josephine Humphreys.
|Rich in Love|
|Directed by||Bruce Beresford|
|Produced by||Richard D. Zanuck|
Lili Fini Zanuck
|Screenplay by||Alfred Uhry|
|Music by||Georges Delerue|
|Edited by||Mark Warner|
|Box office||$2.2 million|
The Odom family lives in a large, white, Southern house in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, just off Pitt Street, looking out onto Charleston Harbor. Lucille Odom (Erbe) is nearing the end of her last year of high school when her mother, Helen Odom (Clayburgh), leaves the family, breaking all ties. Lucille is left to care for her recently retired father, Warren Odom (Finney).
The family spends the summer trying to get their lives together, which is complicated when the older daughter of the family, Rae (Amis), moves back home with a new husband (MacLachlan) and a baby on the way, about which Rae has mixed feelings. While reminiscing about their mother, Rae tells Lucille that their mother tried to abort Lucille when she was pregnant. Warren notices his daughters in new and different ways now that his wife is gone and he is no longer working. Everything changes for Lucille as she comes-of-age and learns about her family in new ways.
The film received mostly positive reviews. However, one drawback was that many did not find the story believable, as the family's problems and a happy ending were something of a fantasy. For example, Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times, gave the film three stars out of four, writing "I must confess I didn't much believe the story".
- Humphreys, Josephine (2000), Rich in Love, Penguin Books, p. 11, ISBN 978-0-14-029610-5
- C. Royall, Mary-Julia (2001), Mount Pleasant: The Friendly Town, Arcadia Publishing, p. 84, ISBN 978-0-7385-0690-6
- "'Rich In Love' Doesn't Do Book Justice", The State, p. 7D, March 19, 1993
- "Cinema, Southern Style", The Charlotte Observer, p. 1F (Arts), March 21, 1993
- "Rich In Love Movie Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Rich In Love Reviews". rogerebert.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Fox TV, MGM Movies Coming to DVD On-Demand". Home Media Magazine. Archived from the original on 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Amazon.com: Rich in Love". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2009-12-26.