Reza Negarestani is an Iranian philosopher and writer, known for "pioneering the genre of 'theory-fiction' with his book" Cyclonopedia which was published in 2008. it was listed in Artforum as one of the best books of 2009.
Speculative realism (early)
|Institutions||Board member of The New Centre for Research & Practice|
|Philosophy of science, philosophy of mind|
Negarestani has been a regular contributor to Collapse, as well as other print and web publications such as Ctheory. On March 11, 2011, faculty from Brooklyn College and The New School organized a symposium to discuss Cyclonopedia titled Leper Creativity. Later on in the year, Punctum books published a book with the same title that included essays, articles, artworks, and documents from or related to the symposium. In 2011, he co-edited Collapse's issue VII with Robin Mackay titled Culinary Materialism  In 2012, Negarestani collaborated with Florian Hecker on an artwork titled "Chimerization" that was included in the dOCUMENTA (13) exhibition. He has since written librettos for a series of full-length albums based on Hecker's concept of 'chimerization'.
After being associated with the philosophical movement of speculative realism for several years, Negarestani is currently lecturing and writing about rationalist universalism beginning with the evolution of the modern system of knowledge and advancing toward contemporary philosophies of rationalism, their procedures as well as their demands for special forms of human conduct.
Since his relocation to the United States of America, Negarestani has given several lectures, a list of which includes:
- The Human Centipede, A View From the Art World, in Escape Velocities symposium: E-flux, New York, November 13, 2013 * A Script for Synthesis, collaboration with Florian Hecker: PERFORMA 13, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, November 9, 2013 
- The Labour of the Inhuman: Independent Curators International (ICI) Curatorial Hub, New York, September 24, 2013 
- Blow Your Mind: On Freedom and Enlightenment, with Ray Brassier and Suhail Malik, 88 Eldridge Street, 4th floor, New York, July 20, 2013 
- Via Finitude, A reconstruction of Nicole Oresme's diagrams: Western University, London, Ontario, May 28, 2013 
- Sonic Practice, Discourse and Auditory Experimentation, with Guerino Mazzola: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, May 9, 2013 
- Theory-fiction as Philosophy's Minecraft: University of Pennsylvania, Kelly Writers House, Philadelphia, March 28, 2013 
- The Topos of the Earth: City University of New York, NEW YORK, February 21, 2013 
- Abducting the Outside: Modernity and the Culture of Acceleration: Miguel Abreu Gallery, New York, November 18, 2012 
- The Non-Trivial Goat and the Cliffs of the Universal, with Florian Hecker: Abrons’ Playhouse, New York, Nov 15, 2012 
- Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials (Re.Press, 2008)
- (ed. w/ Robin Mackay) Collapse Volume VII: Culinary Materialism (Urbanomic, 2012)
- Torture Concrete: Jean-Luc Moulène and the Protocol of Abstraction (Sequence Press, 2014)
- Intelligence and Spirit (Urbanomic x Sequence Press, 2018)
Articles and short storiesEdit
- The Militarization of Peace: Absence of Terror or Terror of Absence? (Collapse Volume I: Numerical Materialism, Urbanomic, 2006)
- Islamic Exotericism: Apocalypse in the Wake of Refractory Impossibility (Collapse Volume II: Speculative Realism, Urbanomic, 2007)
- The Corpse Bride: Thinking with Nigredo (Collapse Volume IV: Concept Horror, Urbanomic, 2008)
- Differential Cruelty: A Critique of Ontological Reason in Light of the Philosophy of Cruelty (Angelaki: Journal of the Theoretical Humanities Volume 14, Number 3, 2009)
- Undercover Softness: An Introduction to the Architecture and Politics of Decay (Collapse Volume VI: Geo/Philosophy, Urbanomic, 2010)
- Solar Inferno and the Earthbound Abyss (Our Sun, Mousse Publishing, 2010)
- (w/ Nicola Masciandaro) Black Metal Commentary (Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium 1, Glossator, 2010)
- Contingency and Complicity (The Medium of Contingency, Urbanomic, 2011)
- Globe of Revolution: An Afterthought on Geophilosophical Realism (Identities: Journal for Politics, Gender and Culture Vol. 8, No. 2, 2011)
- Rainbows and Rationalism: The Fate of the Terrestrial Manifesto of Art (Illuminations: 54th International Art Exhibition, Marsilio, 2011)
- Drafting the Inhuman: Conjectures on Capitalism and Organic Necrocracy (The Speculative Turn: Continental Materialism and Realism, 2011)
- The Gallows Horse (The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities, Harper Voyager, 2011)
- Notes on the Figure of the Cyclone (Leper Creativity: Cyclonopedia Symposium, punctum books, 2012)
- First and Final Machines: From Metaphysics to the Forensics of Force (Final Machine, Urbanomic, 2013)
- Death as a Perversion: Openness and Germinal Death (Dark Trajectories: Politics of the Outside, [NAME] Publications, 2013)
- The Labor of the Inhuman (#Accelerate: The Accelerationist Reader, Urbanomic, 2014)
- Where is the Concept? (Localization, Ramification, Navigation) (When Site Lost the Plot, Urbanomic, 2015)
- Revolution Backwards: Functional Realization and Computational Implementation (Alleys of Your Mind: Augmented Intelligence and Its Traumas, Meson Press, 2015)
- What Philosophy Does to the Mind (Knowledge, History and the Mind) (Turning Inward, Sternberg Press, 2015)
- Requiem for Detective Fiction (Cold War/Cold World: Knowledge, Representation, and the Outside in Cold War Culture and Contemporary Art, Urbanomic, 2017)
- Reengineering Philosophy (Urbanomic, 2018)
- Bryant, Levi; Harman, Graham; Srnicek, Nick (2011). The Speculative Turn: Continental Materialism and Realism. Melbourne, Australia: re.press. p. 182. ISBN 978-0-9806683-4-6.
- "Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials |". Re-press.org. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Cyclonopedia – Artforum International: Best of 2009 |". Re-press.org. 2010-01-01. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "CTheory.net". CTheory.net. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Leper Creativity: Cyclonopedia Symposium : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive". Archive.org. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Leper Creativity: Cyclonopedia Symposium". punctum books. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Collapse Vol. VII: Culinary Materialism". Urbanomic. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Escape Velocities: Symposium at". e-flux. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Performa 13 · Event · Florian Hecker". 13.performa-arts.org. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Independent Curators International - Dark Trajectories: Politics of the Outside". Curatorsintl.org. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Happy Hour". Happyhr.org. 2013-07-20. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Reza Negarestani @ Western University : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive". Archive.org. 2001-03-10. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Guerino Mazzola & Reza Negarestani Sonic Practice, Discourse and Auditory Experimentation - ACT at MIT". Act.mit.edu. 2013-05-09. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "March 2013". Writing.upenn.edu. 2013-03-31. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Username * (2013-02-21). "CUNY Center for the Humanities". Centerforthehumanities.org. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Reza Negarestani". Miguelabreugallery.com. 2012-11-18. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- 11/15/12 (2012-11-15). "Reza Negarestani & Florian Hecker: The Non-Trivial Goat and the Cliffs of the Universal". ISSUE Project Room. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- "Returning to the Age of Blogging". toyphilosophy.com. 2018-01-24. Retrieved 2018-04-02.