Renee Cipriano is currently a Partner and Environmental Lawyer with Schiff Hardin in Chicago, Illinois. Ms. Cipriano provides strategic planning and counseling around statutory and regulatory requirements, enforcement and compliance.
|Former Director, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency|
|Preceded by||Thomas Skinner|
|Succeeded by||Douglas P. Scott|
|Occupation||Partner, law firm Schiff Hardin LLP|
Views on product regulationsEdit
Cipriano sees significant tension between federal and state product regulation, including those meant to protect the environment from contaminants that have been incorporated into products. She thinks the fact that states, not federal lawmakers, adopt and enforce most of these product regulations presents "great challenges", for manufacturers, distributors, and retailers in particular.
Awards and appointmentsEdit
In 2009, Cipriano was appointed to the Illinois Carbon Capture and Sequestration Legislation Commission by Illinois Senate President John J. Cullerton.
Cipriano, who is co-chair of Keep Chicago Beautiful, won its President's Lifetime Volunteer Service Award in 2011. Keep Chicago Beautiful is an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, an environmental organization that advocates litter prevention, recycling, and community greening.
In October 2011, she was named 2012 Chicago Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers.
A February 9, 2006 Chicago Tribune article written by Michael Hawthorne raised the issue of Cipriano registering as a lobbyist for Ameren less than a year after leaving public office. The article cites a 2003 ethics law barring state employees from working for companies they formerly regulated for at least one year.
However, the article also stated that an EPA spokeswoman argued "that the law doesn't apply to Cipriano's new job lobbying for a power company subject to scores of environmental regulations."
- "Gov. Blagojevich thanks IEPA Director Renee Cipriano for a job well done" - http://www.illinois.gov/PressReleases/PressReleasesListShow.cfm?RecNum=3954
- "States and Local Governments Lead the Way on Product Content Regulation" - http://www.environmentalleader.com/2011/10/18/states-and-local-governments-lead-the-way-on-product-content-regulation/
- "Expiration and Vacancy Report Governor's Appointments" - http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lru/Gov.pdf
- "Schiff Hardin Partner Renee Cipriano Named Co-Chair of Keep Chicago Beautiful and Awarded President’s Lifetime Volunteer Service Award" - http://www.schiffhardin.com/news-events/news-releases/53785e83-f5c1-4d03-9f4e-fee6c9214dfa
- "Schiff Hardin Partner Renee Cipriano Named 2012 Chicago Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers" - http://www.schiffhardin.com/news-events/news-releases/schiff-hardin-partner-renee-cipriano-named-2012-chicago-environmental-law-lawyer-of-the-year-by-best-lawyers