René-Antoine Houasse (c. 1645–1710) was a decorative French painter.
Portrait of René-Antoine Houasse by François Jouvenet
|Died||March 27, 1710(aged 64–65)|
|Children||Michel Ange Houasse|
|Relatives||Nicolas Houasse (brother)|
He was a pupil of Charles Le Brun, under whose direction he worked at the Manufacture des Gobelins, and with whom he worked on the decoration of the Château de Versailles. He was the director of the French Academy in Rome from 1699 to 1704.
René-Antoine Houasse was married on 5 February 1673 to Marie Le Blé, cousin of Charles Le Brun, with whom he had three children:
- Agnès-Suzanne Houasse (1674-1719), married on 18 September 1690 with Nicolas Coustou (1658-1733);
- Michel-Ange Houasse (1680-1730), a painter of genre scenes.
- Marie-Charlotte Houasse, possibly born around 1687 as she was described as being only about 32 years old at the death of her husband, the sculptor Pierre Le Gros the Younger. The couple had married on 20 October 1704 in Rome where they lived. The widowed Marie-Charlotte returned to Paris with her three children in 1723.
He died at the hotel of Gramont in Paris on 27 May 1710.
- Allegory of the Royal Magnificence (1678)
- Ceiling paintings in the salon de l’Abondance, Versailles
- Salon de Venus, Versailles
- Terror, Fear and Fright, Salon de Mars, Versailles
- Morpheus & Iris, (1688), Trianon
- Cyane turned into a fountain 1688, Trianon
- Minerva teaching the Rhodians sculpture, 1688, Versailles
- "Charles Lebrun. Ses Relations avec les Artistes de son Temps (1647-1688)". Revue de l'art français ancien et moderne. Société de l'histoire de l'art français. 1889. p. 261.
- Piot, Eugène (1863). "Nicolas Coustou". Le cabinet de l'amateur: années 1861 et 1862. Paris: Librairie Firmin Didot frères. p. 180. ISBN 9785881238025.
- Anatole de Montaiglon and Jules Guiffrey, eds. Correspondance des directeurs de l'Académie de France à Rome... vol. V, 1895, p. 231.
- Olivier Michel, L’Accademia, in: Le Palais Farnèse, Rome 1981, Vol. I/2, p. 575.
- Gerhard Bissell, Pierre le Gros, 1666-1719, Reading, Berkshire 1997, pp. 13, 20.
- Herluison, Henry (1873). Actes d'état-civil d'artistes françcais, peintres, graveurs, architectes. Paris: J. Baur. p. 181.
Media related to René-Antoine Houasse at Wikimedia Commons