Rayleigh (UK Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rayleigh was a parliamentary constituency in Essex represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election. It existed from 1997 to 2010.
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Rayleigh in Essex for the 2005 general election.
Location of Essex within England.
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Rayleigh and Wickford|
The District of Rochford wards of Ashingdon, Canewdon, Downhall, Grange and Rawreth, Hawkwell East, Hawkwell West, Hockley Central, Hockley East, Hockley West, Hullbridge Riverside, Hullbridge South, Lodge, Rayleigh Central, Trinity, Wheatley, and Whitehouse, and the Borough of Chelmsford wards of East and West Hanningfield, Rettendon and Runwell, South Hanningfield, South Woodham-Collingwood East, and West and South Woodham-Elmwood and Woodville.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Essex, the Boundary Commission for England has made radical alterations to existing constituencies to allow for the number of parliamentary seats in the county to be increased to eighteen. These changes include the formation of a number of new constituencies in the southern and eastern parts of the county.
Members of ParliamentEdit
|2010||Constituency abolished: see Rayleigh and Wickford|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Sid Cumberland||7,406||16.0||+0.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Geoff Williams||6,614||15.5||−4.3|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
The 1997 election result has swings relative to the notional, not the actual, 1992 result.
|Liberal Democrat||Sid Cumberland||10,137||19.8||−2.1|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and referencesEdit
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 1)
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- C. Rallings & M. Thrasher, The Media Guide to the New Parliamentary Constituencies, p.136 (Plymouth: LGC Elections Centre, 1995)