Rachel Smalley (born November 1971) is a New Zealand television and radio journalist and presenter. From 2013 to 2017 she hosted Early Edition every weekday morning on Newstalk ZB and wrote regular columns for The New Zealand Herald.
After graduating from Wellington Polytechnic, Smalley began her career in radio journalism with Newstalk ZB before moving to TV3. Smalley moved to the UK and worked for Sky News. She later became the MediaWorks Europe correspondent for a time before returning to New Zealand to host TV3's Nightline. In 2011 Smalley began fronting the station's breakfast programme Firstline. She also hosted weekly politics and current affairs programme The Nation. In 2013 Smalley began hosting early morning radio programme Early Edition on Newstalk ZB, airing weekdays 5am-6am. In 2014 Smalley joined TVNZ's Q + A team on TV One.
On 13 October 2017, Smalley announced her departure from Newstalk ZB and her 20-year journalism career. Her final Early Edition show was broadcast on 15 December 2017.
- Newstalk ZB website[failed verification]
- "The New Zealand Herald website". Archived from the original on 16 August 2015. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Anchor me: TV3's morning star Rachel Smalley". New Idea. 7 November 2011. Archived from the original on 9 February 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Smalley, Rachel (27 October 2013). "Rachel Smalley on Real Life". Real Life with John Cowan (Interview). Interviewed by John Cowan. Auckland: Newstalk ZB. Archived from the original on 23 January 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- NZ Women's Weekly article: Rachel Smalley’s heartbreaking journey
- NZ Women's Weekly Interview
- Dan News
- NZ Herald article
- Official website
- NZ Women's Weekly article: Rachel Smalley: ‘Why I’ll never be a supermum’
- Rachel Smalley's "Candid" Interview on Throng
- KPMG Early Edition show page on Newstalk ZB website[failed verification]
- Rachel Smalley's LinkedIn Page
- Rachel Smalley reports on the Syrian refugee crisis for World Vision