The Quantum Cable is a planned 7,700 km submarine communications cable system connecting Asia with Europe through the Mediterranean Sea. It connects Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Italy, France and Spain. The Quantum Cable will be laid simultaneously with the 2,000 MW EuroAsia Interconnector.
|Project Director||George Killas|
|Total length||7,700 km |
|Design capacity||160Tb/s |
The Quantum Cable is a 7,700-kilometre (4,800 mi) subsea ultra high speed fiber-optic cable system connecting the Middle East to Europe via the Mediterranean Sea. It connects Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Italy, France and Spain. The cable terminal points will be in Bilbao, Spain, where it is expected to be connected with proposed transatlantic MAREA cable.
The Quantum Cable cable system deploys transmission technology at an ultra-fast broadband speed of 160 Tbit/s (terabits per second), equivalent to the MAREA cable. That capacity is equivalent to streaming 80 million HD video conference calls at the same time. With that speed 60 percent of the world's internet traffic could be handled at peak time. It is expected that the cable will have 40 times more capacity than the average capacity of existing internet cables on the Mediterranean. Therefore, it will support high speed for Data centers, Cloud providers and Online services.
During the Greece-Cyprus-Israel trilateral summit on the 15. June 2017. Greek Digital Policy Minister, Cyprus Transport and Communication Minister and Israeli official responsible for digital policy issues discussed a strategic plan about inclusion fiber optic cables in EuroAsia Interconnector. They pointed out that EuroAsia Interconnector together with the cable is strategically important for Greece, upgrading her status into regional electricity and telecom hub. The Prime Ministers of Greece Alexis Tsipras, Israel Benjamin Netanyahu and the President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades, in the Greek city of Thessaloniki on 15. June 2017, agreed to support deployment of a new fiber optic undersea cable, as a critical link between Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
On May 8, 2018. in Nicosia it took place fourth Cyprus-Israel-Greece tripartite meeting. The Prime Ministers of Greece Alexis Tsipras, Israel Benjamin Netanyahu and the President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades reconfirmed their support to timely implementation of EuroAsia Interconnector and Quantum Cable, accompanying fiber optic cable. Chief Minister of Gibraltar Fabian Picardo in meeting with CEO Quantum Cable Nasos Ktorides expressed support for the Quantum Cable and interest in the creation of the cable landing station in Gibraltar.
The Quantum Cable will be laid at depths of 3,000 meters at same time and in parallel with the 2,000 MW EuroAsia Interconnector. Former Cyprus Foreign Minister (1997—2003, 2013—1 March 2018) and head of the European Parliament Foreign Affairs Working group, Ioannis Kasoulides, has joined the Quantum Cable on March 29, 2018 as Chairman of the Strategic Council. The former Cyprus Minister of Transport, Communications and Works Marios Demetriades also joined Strategic Council of Quantum Cable.
The Quantum Cable will minimize the dependence of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern countries from the PoPs of West and Central Europe. The capacity of the cable will accelerate deployment of fast mobile and fixed networks. Providing fast connectivity will maximize reliability of the existing European and Middle Eastern internet backbone network. The Quantum Cable will also facilitate the installation and hosting of data centers.
By connecting major carrier-neutral PoPs in Cyprus, Greece, Israel, Italy, France and Spain, the Quantum Cable clients can choose their preferred back-haul providers available in these PoPs or in cable landing stations in the Middle East, North Africa and Europe.
- 'Superfast' internet cable to cross Mediterranean Sea, Business Insider, January 16, 2018
- About Quantum Cable,www.sigmalive.com
- 'Superfast' internet cable to cross Mediterranean Sea, Phys.org
- 'Superfast' internet cable to cross Mediterranean Sea, Chicago Tribune, January 16, 2018
- Superfast internet cable to cross Mediterranean Sea ,Star Herald
- Superfast internet cable to cross Mediterranean Sea , Argus Press
- EuroAsia Interconnector – Official site
- ‘Quantum Cable’ to revolutionise global telecoms, Cyprus Mail 18.1.2018
- Quantum Cable
- Minister Pappas Presents Proposed Optic Fibre Link to Israeli, Cypriot Officials, The National Herald ,June 16, 2017
- Upgrading of EuroAsia Interconnector means the upgrading of Greece’s strategic role in the region, The Greek Observer
- Greece, Israel, Cyprus discuss energy puzzle in Mediterranean, ERT
- Upgrading of EuroAsia Interconnector means the upgrading of Greece’s strategic role in the region, says Digital Minister Pappas,ERT
- "ENERGY: End to electricity isolation a step closer". Financial Mirror. 2017-10-19. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- Press Release-Trilateral Summit declares official support to ‘timely implementation’ of EuroAsia Interconnector
- Vimeo Video-Trilateral Summit declares official support to ‘timely implementation’ of EuroAsia Interconnector
- Cyprus-Greece-Israel 4th Trilateral Summit Declaration By Spiros Sideris Published on: 08-05-2018, 13:52
- Tριμερής: Εντός 2018 η διακρατική για East Med (BINTEO), Sigma live 8.5.2018
- Full support for ‘Quantum Cable’ in Gibraltar, Cyprus Mail Online, 25.5.2018
- Fiber optic cable will connect Cyprus with Gibraltar, 25.5.2018
- Fiber optic cable from Cyprus to Gibraltar, www.philenews.com, 25.5.2018
- 7700 km long underwater cable will connect Cyprus-Spain,sigmalive.com, 25.5.2018
- Quantum Corporation
- Former Foreign Minister of the Republic of Cyprus Ioannis Kasoulides joins Quantum Cable Chairman of the Strategic Council
- Ο Μάριος Δημητριάδης εντάχθηκε στην ομάδα του ‘Quantum Cable’,7. June 2018
- Former minster joins Quantum, Cyprus Mail, 8. June 2018