Ptolemy XIV of Egypt
|Pharaoh of Egypt|
|Reign||47 - 44 BC|
|Predecessor||Cleopatra VII and|
Ptolemy XIII Theos Philopator
|Successor||Cleopatra VII and|
Ptolemy XV Caesarion
|Died||26 July 44 BC|
|Father||Ptolemy XII Auletes|
Following the death of his older brother Ptolemy XIII of Egypt on January 13, 47 BC, and according to his will, he was proclaimed Pharaoh and co-ruler by their older sister and remaining Pharaoh, Cleopatra VII of Egypt. He was about 12 years old when he acceded to the throne. He and his older sister, Cleopatra, were married, but Cleopatra continued to act as lover of Roman dictator Julius Caesar. Ptolemy is considered to have reigned in name only, as a concession to Egyptian tradition, with Cleopatra keeping actual authority.
On March 15 , 44 BC Caesar was murdered in Rome by a group of conspirators whose most notable members were Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus. Ptolemy soon followed him in death. An inscription mentioning him as alive was dated at July 26, 44 BC. It has been assumed but remains uncertain that Cleopatra poisoned her co-ruler, with aconite, to replace him with his nephew Ptolemy XV Caesarion, her son by Caesar who was proclaimed co-ruler on September 2, 44 BC and whom his mother intended to support as successor of his father.
|Ancestors of Ptolemy XIV of Egypt|
- Mahaffy, John Pentland (2014) . The Empire of the Ptolemies. Cambridge Library Collection. Cambridge, England and New York: Cambridge University Press. pp. xxiv. ISBN 9781108078658.
- Southern, Patricia (2012) . Antony & Cleopatra: The Doomed Love Affair That United Ancient Rome & Egypt. Stroud, England: Amberley Publishing Limited. ISBN 9781445608877.
- Blackaby, Susan (2009). Cleopatra: Egypt's Last and Greatest Queen. Sterling Biographies. New York and London: Sterling Publishing Company, Inc. pp. 27. ISBN 9781402765407.
- Holbl, Gunther; Hölbl, Günther (2003) . A History of the Ptolemaic Empire. Translated by Saavedra, Tina. London and New York: Routledge. p. 237. ISBN 9780415201452.
- Burstein, Stanley Mayer (2007). The Reign of Cleopatra. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press. pp. xiii. ISBN 9780806138718.
- Bevan, Edwyn (2014) . A History of Egypt under the Ptolemaic Dynasty. Routledge Revivals. New York and London: Routledge. p. 369. ISBN 9781317682257.
- Rice, E. E. (2006). Wilson, Nigel Guy (ed.). Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece. New York and London: Routledge. p. 172. ISBN 9780415973342.
- Ptolemy XIV Theos Philopator II entry in historical sourcebook by Mahlon H. Smith
Ptolemy XIV of EgyptBorn: ca. 60 BC Died: 44 BC
Cleopatra VII and Ptolemy XIII
| Pharaoh of Egypt
with Cleopatra VII
Cleopatra VII and Ptolemy XV Caesarion
|This Ancient Egypt biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of an African royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|