Pseudomonas savastanoi is a Gram-negative plant pathogenic bacterium that infects a variety of plants. It was once considered a pathovar of Pseudomonas syringae, but following DNA-relatedness studies, it was instated as a new species. It is named after Savastano, a worker who proved between 1887 and 1898 that olive knot are caused by bacteria.
|Twig of olive-tree with a tumour caused by Pseudomonas savastanoi|
Gardan, et al. 1992
|ATCC 13522 |
P. s. pv. fraxini
Pseudomonas syringae pv. savastanoi (Smith 1908) Young et al. 1978
The pathovar of greatest economical significance is Pseudomonas savastanoi pv. savastanoi, which causes the disease olive knot. Symptoms include formation of galls on infected trees; tumour formation is induced by indoleacetic acid biosynthesis by the bacteria, in a similar manner to the well-studied crown gall pathogen, Agrobacterium tumefaciens.
One of the first scientists to carry out scientific and modern research on the disease of olive trees caused by Pseudomonas savastanoi (Italian: la rogna dell'ulivo) was Giuseppe Maria Giovene (1753-1837), who explained his conclusions in his publication Sulla rogna degli ulivi (1789).
- Gardan; Shafik, H; Belouin, S; Broch, R; Grimont, F; Grimont, PA; et al. (Apr 1999). "DNA relatedness among the pathovars of Pseudomonas syringae and description of Pseudomonas tremae sp. nov. and Pseudomonas cannabina sp. nov. (ex Sutic and Dowson 1959)". Int J Syst Bacteriol. 49 (2): 469–78. doi:10.1099/00207713-49-2-469. PMID 10319466.
- George M. Garrity: Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology. 2. Auflage. Springer, New York, 2005, Volume 2: The Proteobacteria, Part B: The Gammaproteobacteria
- Joseph M. Ogawa, Harley English: Diseases of temperate zone tree fruit and nut crops
- Hosni T, et al. 2011. Sharing of quorum-sensing signals and role of interspecies communities in a bacterial plant disease. ISME J. doi:10.1038/ismej.2011.65.
- Yamada, T; Lee, PD; Kosuge, T (1986). "Insertion sequence elements of Pseudomonas savastanoi: Nucleotide sequence and homology with Agrobacterium tumefaciens transfer DNA". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 83 (21): 8263–7. Bibcode:1986PNAS...83.8263Y. doi:10.1073/pnas.83.21.8263. PMC 386908. PMID 16593778.
- Giovene, Giuseppe Maria (1789). "Memoria sulla rogna degli ulivi del canonico d. Giuseppe Maria Giovene".
- Smith, Dunez, Lelliot, Phillips and Archer (1988) European Handbook of Plant Disease. Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- B. P Borowicz, A Maćkowiak, H Pospieszny (2002) Improved identification of Pseudomonas savastanoi pv. phaseolicola at the molecular level. EPPO Bulletin 32 (3), 467–469.
|This Gammaproteobacteria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|