Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly
Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly
Archidioecesis Casheliensis et Emeliensis
Ard-Deoise Chaisil agus Imligh
|Territory||Most of County Tipperary and part of County Limerick|
|Ecclesiastical province||Cashel and Emly|
|Area||1,190 sq mi (3,100 km2)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2018)|
|Established||10 May 1718|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Assumption, Thurles|
|Patron saint||St Ailbe|
|Secular priests||77 (as of 2018)|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Kieran O'Reilly, Archbishop of Cashel|
|Vicar General||Archdeacon Eugene Everard|
|Bishops emeritus||Dermot Clifford, Archbishop of Cashel|
The incumbent archbishop of the archdiocese is Kieran O'Reilly.
Diocese of CashelEdit
The Diocese of Cashel was elevated to the rank of ecclesiastical province, which was roughly co-extensive with the traditional province of Munster, by the Synod of Kells in 1152. Since the Papal Legate, Giovanni Paparoni, awarded the pallium to Donat O'Lonergan in 1158, his successors have ruled the ecclesiastical province of Cashel – also sometimes known as Munster – until 26 January 2015.
Diocese of EmlyEdit
Archdiocese of Cashel and EmlyEdit
The original Roman Catholic dioceses of Cashel and Emly had been governed by the same bishop since 10 May 1718, with the Archbishop of Cashel acting as Apostolic Administrator of Emly, until they were united on 26 January 2015 to form the new metropolitan see of Cashel and Emly.
Church of IrelandEdit
Following the Reformation in Ireland, the two Church of Ireland dioceses of Cashel and Emly were united in 1569. This union lasted until 1976, at which point the diocese of Cashel was merged into the Diocese of Cashel and Ossory, while the diocese of Emly was merged into the Diocese of Limerick and Killaloe.
The six suffragan dioceses of the province are:
As of April 2018, there were 79 priests in the diocese.
The following is a list of the ten most recent archbishops:
- "Cashel and Emly (Archdiocese)". Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Emly (Diocese)". Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Cashel". New Advent. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly, Ireland". GCatholic. Retrieved 2 April 2021.
- "Cashel & Emly - Deanery Map". homepage.tinet.ie. Retrieved 2021-04-02.
- Baker, Noel (3 April 2018). "Special Report - Diocese by diocese: The state of the Catholic Church on the island of Ireland today". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 2 April 2021.