Project Syndicate is an international media organization that publishes and syndicates commentary and analysis on a variety of global topics. All opinion pieces are published on the Project Syndicate website, but are also distributed to a wide network of partner publications for print. As of 2019, it has a network of 506 media outlets in 156 countries.
|Motto||"The World's Opinion Page"|
|Purpose||Promotion of media freedom and increased accessibility to a variety of global opinions.|
|Headquarters||Prague, Czech Republic|
Project Syndicate, which Ezra Klein described as "the world's smartest op-ed page," provides commentaries on a wide range of topics, from economic policy and strategies for growth worldwide to human rights, Islam, and the environment. It also offers monthly series dedicated to Africa, Europe, Asia, and Latin America, as well as to China and Russia. RealClearWorld also named Project Syndicate one of the top five world news sites for 2012.
A not-for-profit organization, Project Syndicate relies primarily on contributions from newspapers in developed countries, which make up roughly 60% of its membership base, to enable it to offer its services at reduced rates, or for free, to newspapers in countries where journalistic resources may not be readily available. Project Syndicate has also received grants from the Open Society Foundation, The Politiken Foundation in Denmark, Die Zeit, ZEIT-Stiftung, and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Project Syndicate translates its columns from English into 13 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Kazakh, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish. More than half of Project Syndicate's partners receive their content at a discounted rate, enabling relevant and valuable content to reach readers in areas where media freedom and funding are restricted.
Project Syndicate has around 80 authors who submit opinion commentaries on a regular or monthly basis. Periodic editorials are also published by prominent individuals such as Shinzo Abe, Francis Fukuyama, Bill and Melinda Gates, Christine Lagarde, Juan Manuel Santos, and George Soros.
Monthly series authors include:
International Economics and FinanceEdit
- Michael J. Boskin
- J. Bradford DeLong
- Barry Eichengreen
- Jeffrey Frankel
- Xiao Geng
- Daniel Gros
- Anne Krueger
- Lee Jong-Wha
- Mariana Mazzucato
- Carmen Reinhart
- Stephen S. Roach
- Kenneth Rogoff
- Nouriel Roubini
- Andrew Sheng
- Hans-Werner Sinn
- Joseph E. Stiglitz
- John B. Taylor
- Laura Tyson
- Yanis Varoufakis
Politics and Global AffairsEdit
- Shlomo Ben-Ami
- Carl Bildt
- Jorge G. Castaneda
- Brahma Chellaney
- Gareth Evans
- Joschka Fischer
- Richard N. Haass
- Nina L. Khrushcheva
- Mark Leonard
- Joseph S. Nye
- Ana Palacio
- Chris Patten
- Minxin Pei
- Anne-Marie Slaughter
- Javier Solana
- Shashi Tharoor
Economics of DevelopmentEdit
- Kaushik Basu
- Kemal Dervis
- Jayati Ghosh
- Koichi Hamada
- Ricardo Hausmann
- Keyu Jin
- Dani Rodrik
- Jeffrey D. Sachs
- Michael Spence
- Arvind Subramanian
- Andres Velasco
- Shang-Jin Wei
- Yu Yongding
Economic and Regulatory PolicyEdit
Ideas and CultureEdit
- Whitney Arana, Editor
- Marissa Baard, Assistant Editor
- Rachel Danna, Deputy Managing Editor
- Richard Eames, Senior Editor
- Roman Frydman
- Anatole Kaletsky, Contributing Editor
- Nina L. Khrushcheva, Russia Editor
- Sami Mahroum, Contributing Editor
- Kenneth Murphy, Editor in Chief
- Andrzej Rapaczynski
- Joanna Rose, Science/Health Editor
- Jonathan Stein, Managing Editor
- Laurence Tubiana, Contributing Editor
- Stuart Whatley, Senior Editor
- Mark Cliffe
- Gene Frieda
- Alexander Friedman, Chair
- Michael Hanley
- Connie Hedegaard
- "Project Syndicate". Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Project Syndicate economists | Business". the Guardian. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Klein, Ezra. "Ezra Klein - The World's Smartest Op-Ed Page". Voices.washingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2014-04-30.
- RealClearWorld. "RealClearWorld". RealClearWorld. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Int'l Syndicate Bringing Op-Eds to the U.S. – Editor & Publisher". www.editorandpublisher.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- "Awarded Grants". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- a.s., Patria Online. "Project Syndicate - Patria.cz". www.patria.cz. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Our Contributors, Project Syndicate
- Pisani-Ferry, Jean (May 29, 2020), The Uncertain Pandemic Consensus, Project Syndicate, retrieved June 11, 2020