Profile Books is a British independent book publishing firm founded in 1996. It publishes non-fiction subjects including history, biography, memoir, politics, current affairs, travel and popular science.
|Country of origin||UK|
|Distribution||The Book Service (UK)|
Consortium Book Sales & Distribution (USA)
|Fiction genres||Nonfiction, Fiction|
|Imprints||Serpent’s Tail, The Clerkenwell Press, Tindal Street Press|
In 2003 the company published Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss which was the bestselling non-fiction title for 30 weeks and the Book of the Year at the British Book Awards 2004, at which the company also won the Small Publisher of the Year award.
In January 2007 Profile Books acquired Serpent's Tail, bringing together two small publishers in London. In 2008 Profile set up an ethical imprint GreenProfile under the direction of Mark Ellingham, the founder of Rough Guides.
In 2012, Profile launched a new list with Wellcome Collection, designed to showcase writing about medicine, the body and the human condition. Authors on the list include Val McDermid, Atul Gawande and Gavin Francis.
In 2017 the first books were published in the new Pursuit Books imprint, a list showcasing writing on cycling.
Authors include Anjana Ahuja, Mary Beard, Alan Bennett, Susan Hill, Ian Stewart (mathematician), Jonathan Dimbleby, Sandi Toksvig, Simon Garfield, Robert Greene, Richard Mabey, Simon Jenkins, Margaret MacMillan, David Harvey, Federico Varese and Francesca Simon.
- Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human (2009)
- The Goodness Paradox (2019)
- Just My Type (2010)
- The Man in the Picture (2007)
- The Small Hand (2010)
- Howards End is on the Landing (2010)
- Dolly: A Ghost Story (2012)
- Printer's Devil Court (2014)
- The Travelling Bag (2016)
- Mountains Beyond Mountains (2011)
- Deadly Waters (2011)
Patricia and Robert Malcolmson, Nella Last
- Nella Last in the 1950s (2010)
James A Robinson, Daron Acemoğlu
- Why Nations Fail (2013)
- The Lady in the Van (1999)
- Four Stories (2006)
- The Uncommon Reader (2007)
- A Life Like Other People's (2009)
- Smut (2011)
- Keeping On Keeping On 2017
- The Parthenon (2009)
- Pompeii (2009)
- It's Don's Life (2009)
- The Colosseum (2011)
- All in a Don's Day (2012)
- Confronting the Classics (2013)
- SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome (2015)
- Women and Power 2017
- A Short History of England (2011)
- England's 100 Best Views (2013)
- Destiny in the Desert]] (2012)
- The Enigma of Capital and the Crises of Capitalism (2011)
- Seventeen Contradictions and the End of Capitalism (2014)
- Adventures in Stationery (2014)
- Being Mortal
Shaun Bythell (of Wigtown bookshop
- The Diary of a Bookseller
- How to Bake Pi
- Beyond Infinity
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves was Book of the Year at Specsavers National Book Awards 2004
- Vermeer's Hat won the Mark Lynton History Prize in 2009
- Catching Fire was shortlisted for the Samuel Johnson Prize in 2010
- Just My Type won Best British Book at the British Book Design and Production Awards 2011
- The Small Hand won a Best Jacket / Cover Design award at the British Book Design and Production Awards 2011
- Mountains Beyond Mountains won a BMA Medical Book Award
- Nella Last in the 1950s was shortlisted for the Portico Prize in 2012
- Why Nations Fail won the Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award in 2012
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande was longlisted for the Baillie Gifford Prize 2014
- Railways was Sunday Times History Book of the Year 2015
- Frugal Innovation by Navi Radjou and Jaideep Prabhu won the CMI Management Book of the Year Award 2016
- Anquetil, Alone by Paul Fournel was shortlisted in two categories in the Sports Book Awards 2018
- Moneyland by Oliver Bullough was The Sunday Times Business Book of the Year 2018
- Women & Power by Mary Beard was shortlisted for the Specsavers National Book Awards 2018
Profile Books has won Independent Publisher of the Year awards three times. In 2017 The Essex Serpent (published in the Serpent's Tail imprint) was named the Fiction Book of the Year, the Book of the Year and won Publicity Campaign of the Year Award at the British Book Awards.
- "Independent Alliance". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- "Just My Type at the British Book Design and Production Awards". Just My Type. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "The Small Hand at the British Book Design and Production Awards". The Small Hand. Archived from the original on 21 August 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Nella Last in the 1950s shortlisted for Portico Prize 2012". Nella Last in the 1950s. Archived from the original on 2015-02-12.
- "Being Mortal longlisted for Baillie Gifford Prize". Being Mortal. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Frugal Innovation won the CMI Management Book of the Year Award". Frugal Innovation. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Anquetil, Alone at the Sports Book Awards 2018". Anquetil, Alone. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Moneyland Sunday Times Business Book of the Year". Moneyland. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Women & Power shortlisted for the Specsavers National Book Awards 2018". Women & Power. Retrieved 17 January 2019.