Profile is a 2018 horror thriller film directed by Timur Bekmambetov. It is an international co-production between the United States, the United Kingdom, Russia and Cyprus. The film is shot as a computer screen film. It premiered at the 68th Berlin International Film Festival in the Panorama section on the 17th of February.
|Directed by||Timur Bekmambetov|
|Based on||In the Skin of a Jihadist|
by Anna Erelle
|Music by||Andy Ross|
|Edited by||Andrey Shugaev|
In order to investigate the recruitment of young European women by the ISIS, journalist Amy Whittaker creates a new Facebook profile under the alias of Melody Nelson. She creates a persona online of a woman who has recently converted to Islam.
Soon Amy is contacted by Bilel, an ISIS fighter from Syria. They begin to talk to each other regularly and after some time she begins to develop real romantic feelings for him.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 60% based on 10 reviews, and an average rating of 5.8/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 66 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
The film won the Panorama Audience Award at the Berlinale.
- Clarke, Stewart (December 15, 2017). "Berlinale 2018: Panorama Section Focuses on 'Body Politics' and 'Resistance to Machismo'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- White, Peter (December 15, 2017). "Berlin Film Festival Unveils First Panorama Titles For 2018". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- Meza, Ed (February 15, 2018). "Shazad Latif on the Voyage From 'Star Trek' to the World of Online Jihadism". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "Profile (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 19, 2018.
- "Profile Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 26, 2018.
- Press Office (February 24, 2018). "The Panorama Audience Awards go to Profile and The Silence of Others". Annual Archives: 2018. Berlin International Film Festival. Retrieved July 19, 2018.